I'm new to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
To add pictures, first see the blue bar near the top of the page, and near the left "User CP", click. Then, on the left side is a column in your Control Panel, and in various categories, click on "edit profile picture", "edit avatar" and "Pictures and Albums". Usually there is a place to click when you've gone to whichever area you want a picture. If the word "browse" appears, click on it in order to bring up your pictures from your computer.

Be sure and check out the privacy questions. Unless you choose to limit, anyone can come here and see whatever you post--so don't post your email or address or anything you don't want the world to see. Same in a thread or on someone else's profile page.

Thanks for the tip!

Ann,
Thank you for the advice. I hope the question I asked wasn't too nosy. It's something I've wondered about, but I thought only people who have ALS could give me an honest answer. A doctor could guess, but no one knows unless they've been in the same place.

Mary, you're referring to the denial question... is it normal to want to be in denial? I lived in a country called denial for as long as possible. Everyone, I expect, feels that in the beginning. There's a surreal, Twilight Zone aspect to this diagnosis, when you have only a drop foot or a little trouble with your tongue, or meeting thumb to forefinger.

The good news is that (there actually are many "good aspects" if you think about it) most of us have time to become ready for whatever is coming. If your toes don't lift, there's a voice in the back of your head thinking, I may need a wheelchair some day. Now, that's helpful if you're wise (which I was not), because you can go online or ask the forum how wide doorways need to be, or how do I get a wheelchair, or a ramp, or what about transportation... And you read other folks' posts and answers and tuck that information away. Generally there is time in which to get this taken care of, but--if your onset is foot, don't do what I did and wait until there's no time to make house adjustments. That is perhaps the one big job to accomplish. And, if at all possible, don't move out of your hometown. Your friends which you already have will likely become the greatest blessing imaginable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back