Come For Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to change the subject here Ladies- but i must....
I just received the cutest little book in the mail, postmarked NZ! It is a friendship book with cute little quotes. Think I will put one on here each day...
Todays is: "Love is all we have, the only way that each can help the other"... Euripides. Aly- thank you so much!

Will have to put this book by the card and the starting of my "see the beach" fund that my dear friend Kim sent me for my birthday.
Ive got some GREAT friends. and i appreciate that more than you all will know.

I think I can still sing the whole Mr. Ed song! Aly, my thoughts are with you as you figure out what to do about Silver. In my (somewhat limited) experience, a horse can make it quite clear when s/he's ready to go. But hard on everyone.
Nice to be back with my tea friends! Things are looking up here- I am not as exhausted this week, the snow is melting, and my harbingers of spring, the dwarf iris, are blooming. No (other) illnesses in the house, and we moved my office downstairs for safety, so I am now in the little den off the living room where I look out to the backyard and my tiny greenhouse-- Roy made it for me two yrs ago by repurposing the kids' old playhouse. Soon it will be full of seedlings! I see some birdfeeders in my future, if I can interest someone in keeping them full for me:wink:
Thinking of you all and sending positive Spring thoughts, even to Aly where it is Fall!
Sue

p.s Thanks a million, Kim- now I've got that stupid song stuck in my head:roll: -- well, it's making me laugh, at least!

Last edited:
I loved Mr Ed as well. I was horse mad from the day I was born, so it was my favorite program . I remember his huge reading glasses. They were very innocent times weren't they? 2 of my kids got swine flu. One was really ill and in a flat out of town. I was so worried. It ripped through her med school class killing one young lady in a couple of days, just awful. For most tho, it was mild.

It's a glorious sunny day. I am doing housework, work 10 minutes......sit 10 minutes. It's a good stategy. Wish this fatigue would p.....ss off!

Aly

Sue good to hear from you, sorry about Mr Ed.
Liz it's my pleasure......you won't be thanking me for the noisy Pukeko ha ha

Last edited:
Aly, I know what you are going through with Silver. We adopted Gus, a 35 yr. old horse with cataracts, a few years ago. We had him for almost 3 years before putting him down because the blindness got worse and he became fearful of everything. And just 2 weeks ago, we put our two senior horses down. Their names were Scribbles and Copper. We just sold our farm as we can't keep up anymore due to hubby's CIDP and us aging. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. They were my life for the past 12 years. We don't leave the farm until the end of June--it is so hard to look out the windows and not see my ponies any longer. I can't walk down to the barn any more as it makes me cry. We have our two young horses permanently boarded up in the Cariboo so it brightens me to think about them running with the herd up there. On a brighter note, I am just pulling Helen L's dump cake out of the oven to let it cool, and then will make the yummy sounding icing with cream and pudding. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Good luck with Silver Aly! I feel blessed that we had our horses for so long as they were a joy to us and we had such fun with them over the years.
Laurel

Thanks laurel. We left our land because I found it a strain as well. We have had years of horses and she is the last link. Once she is gone, it represents a huge and very enjoyable part of my life over. Sorry to hear about your horses. :(

Liz, that was between you and me. But that's okay. Would like you to put a pic of the card up if you can with the saying. I just loved that card and I surely couldn't send you a cake so this was the next best thing. I hope to send you a little each month to add to that account and who knows maybe by next year you will have a cross country adventure. Would love to meet you somewhere so your daughter and mine could meet. It would be great if they became friends too!

Laurel, how is the cake? Wish I had the ingredients (and the ambition!) to make it myself... Its even better the next day.

Helen it was delicious and it is a real keeper of a recipe! I have friends coming for coffee this afternoon so they can try it to as I was bragging about it and they invited themselves over to have some. Thanks so much! It was so easy and is like a heirloom recipe to pass on.
Laurel

Helen, I can't work in the kitchen (or anywhere else, really) since my arms are stiff and I can't reach the countertop, HOWEVER, my housekeeper is making chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese icing today and it smells yummy.

We have B&B guests tonight so they will each get a cupcake for a bedtime snack. Tomorrow my son and grandson are coming so Sawyer will get all sugared up with the extras and then I'll send him home! He will be 7 next week and loves anything sweet.

Today is another sunny spring day - makes me feel good to look outside and watch the mountain blue birds and the golden eagles.... life is good.

Dianne, you are so right, today is a good day! Now make sure you send me a cupcake. I will take 2 Benadryl before I eat it. HAHAHA! I love to do fun things with my grandsons. My middle grandson (my son has 3 boys) learned what sweet tea was when I went up to visit them last year in Maryland. I even have a pic somewhere of him sneaking my tea.
Helen, you can send my cake my way! I am craving sweets right now.
And Aly, guess where my neuro dr is? Maybe you will run into him at the conference in Hawaii!

Kimbereley, I think ALL the American neuros will be there. It's the main American conference!

I am off early to drop Hubby at airport, which is probably closed due to fog. Hope he makes his connection.

I am off to a town called Tauranga, where we have an appt to try on a wedding dress, my daughter saw online. So off for the morning. Have a lovely day ladies :)

Aly

I have spent the day reading -- a great mystery and decided to do something worthwhile - so I talked to my mother-in-law and before leaving the office and returning to my Kindle, I stopped by here to catch up on your happenings.

Cupcakes are yummy (according to Tim.) Chocolate isn't my favorite so I didn't taste test. :) I did lick the icing bowl and gave it a thumbs up.

Looks like rain clouds moving in -- we could use some moisture but not too much.

The snow in the northern hills is melting and the creek is running high through the pasture. Don't need flooding when I am trying to sell the place!

Back to the mystery and courtroom drama!

Last edited:
I can't take ANY credit for that recipe, I'm just passing along my former neighbor – Eileen Lengel's recipe – She made it for her family's birthday cakes... she was a lovely woman, I loved her! You'll have to send a piece to Kimberly in SC, I don't have any to send right now!

I think that neuro conference is the reason my appt. with my neuro was rescheduled from today to 2 weeks from now... maybe he's there as well! Wish they'd take us with them for show and tell, I wouldn't mind a free trip to Hawaii, I've never been there. It's a pretty long flight from here, and though I always wanted to go there on my honeymoon, we went to Nova Scotia instead. Which is absolutely beautiful as well.

Looked at 2 houses today, neither one will work for my family... but the second one was disgustingly dirty as well. Looks like they spent some money on the house, with a jacuzzi (which had enough dirt at the bottom to repot some plants), and the stainless steel appliances... but boy, it smelled funky in there, and looked like a flophouse with the mattresses on the floor, etc. I told my realtor that I think since the house was being sold as a short sale, maybe the owners were living there free, and didn't want the house to sell? Yuck... not to mention the steps going into the house were hard for me to go up, and no railing. All these things that I never would have thought of several years ago, I barely made it up the steps.

Tomorrow is the last day of cleaning before the Open House, there better be some people showing up for this! Like throwing a party and no one shows up. But I won't know 'cause I'm not allowed to be there.

We cleaned off the porch today of most of the winter stuff, and got rid of my hanging planter of bird seed.... poor birds are all confused by it not being there, but I don't want them to end up in one of my cat's mouths! We left the screen porch's door open while moving stuff out, and a little bird flew in – it took me a while to coax it out. It was soo cute. I have a little bird fluttering outside my window trying to figure out where it's dinner went to! Must be a boy, the girl would have figured it out by now! (Sorry Peter if you're reading this!) Wish I could keep feeding them there, it was fun watching them. We literally had over 4 feet of snow on the ground when I started feeding them, but now it's better for them not to get so close to the house (and cats).

But yay, spring is here! Red Sox finally won a game (they lost the first 8 games in a row, haven't done that since 1945 I heard), and it was the season opener at Fenway Park against... the YANKEES! About time they won a game, and no better place to do it than at home. I actually haven't been to Fenway in years, it's way too expensive. I used to go to school right around the corner from Fenway, it was really annoying when you couldn't find a parking spot on game days.

Off to see Wheel of Fortune, have a nice evening ladies!

We ordered a wedding dress. It's gorgeous and above the budget, but who cares. She looked so lovely. Now wedding dress is done and bridesmaid dresses purchased. All very organized.

Poor Hubby. Missed his connection through to Hawaii because of the fog closing the airport. The flights into Hawaii are all full, but a clever agent got him a flight to San Fransisco, 6 hour wait, then united to Hawaii arriving a day late instead of a day early. It will take him 24 hours instead of 9.

Yuck, the thought of a dirty jacuzzi, revolting. The warm water must cook the bugs yuck yuck yuck. Hope your open day goes well Helen

Dianne enjoy your book. I have just started Handle with care, by Jodi Picoult. Sometimes her books are good, and sometimes boring, so we shall see.

I am going to try and keep Ruby in again. You wouldn't believe the tiny gap she is getting out through, a real Houdini. I wish we could get the permanent fence up. I tried to get a quote, but no one ever comes. I am sick of tradesmen!
Aly

Aly, When you go to Hawaii I want you to find my really hot looking dr. name James Selph. Now I want you to give him a piece of your mind. Not too big of a piece, because you might need it at a later date. Not only is he at the conference he is taking off from work until the end of the month. It must be hard to work 3 weeks out of every month and not see patients in the ER. Anyway, he started me on 2 new meds: 1 called Diamox and the other Ambien. Well everything went fine for the first week. Then week two came with an increase of the Diamox to 2 pills a day and increase til I was taking 6 pills a day. Well Lindsay texted me and asked why I texted her at about 1 am. I said I hadn't, and I checked my texts. The first one was blank, the second was gibberish about something falling and making a noise and what was it. I didn't remember doing it. And then I started having this jerking in both hands and then a day later in both feet. I was having a hard time typing because my hand would jerk and hit keys when I didn't want it to and I couldn't stop and then it felt like I had to squeeze my hands because of a funny feeling. I called the dr's. office and that's when I found out he was gone to Hawaii. And the nurse said to stop the Ambien and reduce the Diamox. And call my PCP for a sleep med. Well I called and guess what: you know, they won't fill that type of script go back to neuro. Well I don't have one, he's in Hawaii and won't be back until first of May. Now I have nothing to help me sleep and last night I got 1 hr of sleep! And then to top it off, I called Emory to schedule my appt and she couldn't go past the insurance section it kept spitting it out! Only 1 hr of sleep last night. And the lady said this has never happened before. Only me I told her! I am actually so tired of dealing with dr stuff right now I just need a break.
On a lighter note: Today is Grayson's birthday. She is 11 years old today...not bad for a kid who wasn't supposed to live past 1 year. Funny thing is she is at a birthday party for a friend on her birthday.
Ok Helen and Dianne, I am waiting on those desserts. After this past week I probably would eat those chocolate cupcakes without a chaser of Benadryl-Live dangerously! I will be watching the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back