Sleep Aids ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liz, perhaps if you spoke with his doctor, the dose could be increased and your PALS would get the sleep benefit.

Ann- unfortunately, that is Mom's area and she doesnt like to push meds on him and doesnt like change- hard to explain.
But he has never pushed for it either so she doesnt see a need for it.
If only i could control EVERYTHING... lol

I have been on a bi-pap for several weeks and noticed little change in my sleep. Fact is, I was sleeping through the night before the bi-pap with the help of a Lunesta at bedtime. However woke feeling tired, weak and sleepy. The bi-pap reduced the sleepiness in the morning but didn't touch the weakness and tiredness.

After an overnight oximeter test, the pulmonoligist ordered oxygen to be conneccted to the bi-pap. A world of difference! I still take the sleeping pill, but wake feeling like my "old" self - and with less arm and finger weakness. Don't interpret that to mean I move my arms better - just means the one handed typing doesn't wear me out as quickly!

Might be something to those Oxygen Bars I saw in Vegas! :)

Okay Diane...I'll bite. What, exactly are "Oxygen Bars"? Food or entertainment, hahaha?

I'm so glad the addition of oxygen to your bi-pap has had such a dramatic effect. Any word on a new hospice?

Ann, Oxygen Bars are places that sell snorts of flavored oxygen! Supposedly for energy and unofficially for a legal "high". I didn't try it so don't really know.

No word on a new hospice.

Last edited:
Okay; Ladies, I have been on the Ambien for a week now. Have not noticed much of an improvement on sleeping, but one strange thing happened....I texted my daughter Lindsay twice. One was blank, the other said something about hearing something fall and not knowing what made the noise. I don't remember texting nor do I remember something falling and making a noise. All this happened at 1:00 in the am. Anyone experience this while on Ambien?

i havent personally, kim, but have heard of this. this can happen with sleep aides and other medications. some folks go as far as "sleep driving" and "sleep eating". mention it to your doc.

It's been in the national news, Kim. Not you, lol, but the Ambien problem of "sleep walking" in the extreme. I think if it has that effect on you you need to change to a different sleep aid.

OMG, please not sleep eating! I look too good to gain weight (lol). I haven't kept up with the med news lately.
i will make sure I give my keys to somebody at night so I don't find myself out somewhere. Usually, I lood at the side effects, but this time I didn't. I am also on Diamox (along with 3 other meds) but 2 days ago I started with a jerking of both hands every few seconds. It's hard to type and eating HA that's really funny for my kids. Anyone have an extra large bib? Last night I got cantaloupe juice and strawberry juice on my clothes with each bit. And miss my mouth, my kids said, "As big as your mouth is, how come you keep missing it?" I wonder where they heard that from!

My husband calls it the AMBIEN Picnic, not that I have ever had one..lol..

After several tries with drugs and doses,I take two 0.5 mgm of ativan and one 50mgm of trazadone.
Are you on BiPap, breathing issues will also cause havoc, are you short of breath, have you had
your FVC measured lately? I hope something can be found to help.
Blessings,Pat

Pat, I am not on anything to sleep other than the Ambien. I am open for suggestions.....I had taken valium during the day and amitriptyline at bedtime. And that seemed to work. Not sure why he took me off. Well maybe when he's back from his 3 week vacation I will talk to him.

couple shots of bourbon... just saying...

I seem to be getting better sleep with Advil PM allthough I wake up in the middle of the night to take a leak but I seem to go back to sleep ok but then Ive done that pert near all my life. I do have to sleep with a wedge pillow since about 3 weeks ago and I need my wife to pull me up and my Mother to slide the wedge under me. I wake up at 5:00 am because of the alarm for my wife to get up for work then lay there watching tv till mom wakes up and comes to pull me out of bed to put my feet on the floor then I can slide into my Electric Wheelchair.
I am using the wedge because when I was laying flat on my back I would wake up hour after hour short of breath and a bunch of times I would wake my wife around 2 3 or 4 in the morning and beg her to pull me out of bed and I would try sleeping in my wheelchair with a blanket and a pillow propped against the wall.That all ended when I got my wedge pillow

Liz, I am one who cannot stand the taste of anything with alcohol in it. To me it's like drinking ocean water (beer) or cough syrup (hard liquor). I guess I am just a woose when it comes to drinking (but don't get me wrong, I have thought about it).
Steven, I cannot take any NSAID's (which Advil is one) due to medically induced heart attacks: 1 from Vioxx, the other from Motrin.
And here again, I was up all night again. Thanks for all the input; when my dr. comes back from holiday in Hawaii I will rattle his brain with all the sleep meds you all have tried. Wouldn't you like two have 3 weeks off to "work" 1 week at the neuro conference in Hawaii and another 2 weeks just for yourself. I know I surely would. Plus he works 3 weeks a month and the 4th week is spent seeing patients in the hospital and I don't mean ER patients just in house patients. It must be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back