Come For Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are having chicken and rice, with green beans, white corn, peas, and peach pie. Actually that's what my family is having, I will be eating oatmeal (2 days ago I got a pill stuck in my throat and haven't been able to swallow, it feels like I bruised it; is that even possible?). I would love to have some new ideas for meals. It doesn't have to be easy or simple just something picky eaters would love. Any ideas?

This all my childrens favorite recipe. It's from a neighbor I had 15 years ago.

Dice chicken breast ( whatever you need)
2tbs oil
3 tbs stock
1 tsp soy sauce
1 crushed garlic clove
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander

Mix it all together and leave to marinade.

Fry chicken & marinade. Lay aside

Cut large pita breads in half, cut up any fresh veggies ( lettuce, tomato,cheese, cucumber, capsicum)

Sit around the table and stuff the pita bread with chicken and whatever is prepared.

You can also make this lovely dressing to drizzle on

1 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt
Juice 1/2 lemon
2 clover garlic crushed
Pepper

Just mix it all together.

It's all super easy, hands on and the kids can create it how they want. I served it up to my MIL, oh what a fuss she made, was all too much for her having to put it together at the table , and with your hands!

Enjoy...... I never did get to sleep, so only 3 hours again. Hubby is worried cause it's usually a sign I am down in the dumps, but I think it's because I am planning a campaign. I want to somehow change the options for MND sufferers here. I will need to do a bit more planning. I talked to Hubby yesterday, and he slowly started to see what I am getting at.Even made some suggestions. Long story.
Aly

I should think that the oatmeal would get stuck in your throat more!

How 'bout making breakfast for supper? Always a hit, whether it's leftover potatoes and ham fried up and scrambled eggs on the side, or - gasp - chocolate chip pancakes? Or slices of banana or blueberries in the pancakes, which makes it a bit healthier. My kids love it when we do the pancakes.

Another meatless meal we have is nachos: add the taco seasoning sauce (1/2 pkg) and some water to a can of fat-free refried beans and heat in a saucepan; spread over taco chips spread out on a cookie sheet... add salsa and lots of cheese... bake for about 5 minutes, serve with fresh chopped lettuce and tomato, with sour cream on the side for those picky eaters. You can even leave the beans off half of the chips for a less healthy version. Note: if it doesn't say "fat-free" its got lard in it, and my vegetarian daughter freaked out when she heard about that!

We had "Shake and Bake" chicken last night, one of my sons LOVES it... I think its best on the boneless chicken strips. Remember the commercial in the 70's? The kids would say "it's Shake and Bake, and we LOVE it!" with the most obnoxious accent, we always made fun of it. But it's really easy to do, which is why I love it. They had a version for oven frying potatoes for a while, and that was easy and a big hit. I can't find it anymore, so I make my own with the powered italian dressing.

Hubby FINALLY got a job offer, and he starts a week from Monday... sucky pay, but at least its a job, and has benefits, not another temp-to-perm deal that never goes perm. At any rate, my son Matt goes for another karate belt test tonight, and we're going out to eat afterwards to celebrate the new job. Probably should wait until he's been there 3 months, but at least I won't have to cook tonight!

Aly, that recipe sounds good, but too much work on the chicken! I may try the marinade and bake it in the oven sometime.

Helen, you don't have to kill the chicken, gut and pluck over there do you? In NZ we have supermarkets where we buy our chicken breasts already removed from the bird! :) :)

Really you just stir it in a bowl takes less than 5 minutes and 10 in the hot pan lol

Now cracking up then feeding horse then facial ...

Helen, I remember a Shake and Bake that went... (OK, I belieeeve it went) "Mom made Shake N Bake, and Ahhh Helpt!"

Phil's fast scrambled for dinner eggs: Cut up Southern Ham (think a LOT of salt), or proscuitto. Scramble eggs in a bowl. Saute ham until it begins to smell scrumptious. Pour eggs over and stir until ready. Add heated bread or toast on the side.

Helen, refresh my memory please: Are you the one that does not live with their husband? Or that he had to move back in with you because he lost his job? Oh and I make it runny, I probably just try to eat the peaches inside the pie. And I remember that annoying commercial.
Aly, I am so glad you haven't done anything drastic with the hubby. Maybe he realizes that he better be on his best behavior for the next year!
And Ann, where in the store do you get the proscuitto?

Helen, I would take that dinner when you can. Like you said, if you waited.......may wind up not having dinner. Enjoy your dinner and let us know where and what you eat.

Oh and Aly, do you submerge the chicken in oil or just put a little in a pan and fry?

Aly, now you're pickin' on me! No, I'd be a vegetarian too if I had to pluck and gut anything! :(

Anne, I had that for lunch last week, some luncheon ham and lots of scrambled eggs... ate way too much of it...

Yeah, I'm the one with the hubby who moved back here to "help" me... he does occasionally, but not nearly enough. I just go prequalified to get a new mortgage when I sell my house, and he said to me, "you're going to room in the basement or something for me, right?" Not sure if he plans on living rent-free forever?

Proscuitto is usually available in the deli section of the supermarket, along with the roast beef and bologna.

I don't generally fry chicken, it's just too messy so I use the oven and oven fry it. Do that with frozen fries too, add a little vegetable oil to a large cookie sheet and bake in the oven. Gets crispy but still less oil than frying.

Crap, we're getting a Nor'Eastern storm coming... rain, wind, snow... ever watch "The Perfect Storm"? It's already started snowing very lightly a few minutes ago. The weathermen can't decide how much we're getting, depending on the rain/snow line. "Truly a tricky forecast" is what the guy just said... called CYA.

Breakfast foods are good anytime of the day! Spoken by a Bed and Breakfast owner who tests new recipes for family dinners before putting on the breakfast menu.

Breakfast pizza made with flakey pastry and anchovis and bacon, cheese and mushrooms is always a hit.

Ummm, wonder what Tim is fixing tonight. I'm getting a bit hungry reading what "you all" had for dinner last night.

Finished a book today and started another.

And, yes, you can get fake nails on just one hand, or even one finger, and have a manicure. I've found the manicure lasts much longer now that I do little with my hands! Another advantage of being disabled. :)

Ann, I read your dinner menu and got delerious and had to lie down for a while! Nice day here and two of my three sisters are visiting from out of town so we are having a good time.

Barry, I got a huge smile out of that--I'll tell Phil. And, it was his idea...life keeps getting better. Barry, you and Peter having three sisters. I hope they treat you great... bet you had them laughing a LOT when you were a kid... and on into the rest of your days.

Roy (DH) is out canoeing tonight and daughter working -- I was thinking leftovers, but we do have some nice proscuitto so I think I'll do eggs a la Ann & Phil- I can still scramble an egg and since we now have hens around again the eggs are super fresh and that lovely bright yellow. Neighbors are using our barn for their chickens and will-- I hope-- keep us in eggs. How good is that?
Kim, how about baked custard for a change from oatmeal? My family's fave when eating isn't going so well.
And just to be really picky-- a beanie is more skimpy than a toque. A beanie won't keep your ears warm. When I'm making a hat and don't have enough yarn, it's a beanie!
Helen, the snow is on its way here. Ugh. I'm supposed to sing in a concert in Portland tomorrow night (thankfully I can sing better than I can talk, go figure), and hope the driving isn't too awful. Hoping the storm will go out to sea?
Off to the kitchen- thanks, Ann, for the idea!
Sue

I'm so glad you have fresh eggs, Sue... and proscuitto isn't in everyone's fridge! You could use olive oil; just a tad...

I hope you all don't get much more snow. We have rain and need it for our collective wells... the water table's down.

Diane! Your breakfast pizza sounds really good, and I'd want the anchovies later in the day than breakfast! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back