Come For Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't drink too much of the coopers.

You guys have the weirdest accents, kind of convict like :) . I might have a glass of nice Mc Claren Vale Shiraz. Your Shiraz is simply the best, yum. Beats coopers. I love Tomartoes, but tomatoes, not so much lol

Ok here is a fact, that you didn't know........we will beat you at the rugby world cup.......yea right:(

ok folks, let's not argue about rugby and soccer now! :)

It is funny to hear all the different names in our languages for the same thing: roundabout, rotary, traffic circle (which is probably the best description). We have a few rotaries in this state and it's kind of funny when you see someone from out of state try to figure out what to do! Not too funny when you're in a 5 mile backup trying to get through the rotary and over the bridge to the beaches though.

Kim, I didn't even know that southerners call it staying and we call it living in a house (did I get that right?) I know we have "bubblers" and the real name is water fountain.... or we have grinders or subs (type of bread) and they're called something hoageys somewhere else, though that may be for only steak and cheese? Again, not sure.

I remember that years ago when I stopped at a gas station in Georgia and asked the girl behind the counter a question, it took us both a few minutes to understand what each was saying! I don't have a Boston accent ("park the car in Harvard yard" turns into "pahk the cah in Hahvaad yaahd"), but she did have a really thick Georgian accent. I do pronouonce my "r" by the way, probably because my Dad came from Pittsburgh and added an "r" to all words... ("warsh the car").

Off to get the boys to school and back to bed for an hour, I had to get up at 5a.m. to drive my daughter to school for her trip to Washington DC. I had to rifle through her suitcase in front of a chaperone to prove no contraband! Too bad they have to do stuff like that to prevent the kids from bringing alcohol/drugs on a trip like this. But about 5 years ago 2 sisters from my town died in a horrific car accident which was caused by the older sister (they were 15 and 17 and drinking age is 21) was drunk from vodka in a water bottle. Both were students at my daughter's high school. So its understandable that they put everyone through the ringer.

We don't have gas for cars we have petrol, our gas stations are service stations, just thought I would throw that in!

It's 2.30 in the morning and I CANT SLEEP AGAIN! I am so tired in the day, but my mind is spinning and I cant stop it. This really sucks. I don't like taking pills, only have 1 left and it's precious :). Oh well, I will watch something silly on TV,
Aly

I thoroughly enjoyed your silliness. And we wear flip flops on our feet. A thong is a very different item of clothing altogether... or the lack of 'altogether'.

Philadelphia cheese steak sandwich..or sub, I think. It's the cat's meow. In Delaware (and south of, where we live) they are "subs". not hoagies or grinders. Sprite is a fizzy drink fairly citric, but not lemonade in taste. Lemonade comes many ways, but squeezed lemons with seeds removed added to a boiled sugar and water combo or syrup (to really mix in the vast amount of sugar), poured over a tall glass of ice is undeniably wonderful. Due to all the sugar, it doesn't slake thirst but is good and tasty! And the fizzy drinks are called "sodas" here, but "pop" in many places.

Aly, ever take Librium for making you sleepy? I haven't needed to change the dosage, but have taken it nightly for a long time. My brain also likes to spin at night... Librium tells it to shut up and go to sleep.

Helen, I hope you were able to go back to sleep. It's rainy here and dark--great for sleeping.

Peter, ever add basil leaves and mozzarella cheese to the 'maters with olive oil, salt and pepper? Heavenly. Basil is the one thing grown here on the deck when it becomes warm. And tomatoes the one thing Phil plants in the garden anymore. My buddies water and pick the basil for me. Well, back up...they also plant it after they buy the plants. I send it home with them and share, other than eat it.

My kids and I LOVE the fresh mozzarella cheese, basil and tomato salad, marinated in olive oil S&P... also on a nice crusty bread... I've been down to just tomatoes and cucumbers in my garden, I put the tomato plants in among my perennials, as its the only spot in the yard that has enough sun. I have almost an acre of land, and most of it is shady, or too wet down by the stream. Not that I've been down there for a few years anyway! Used to have to go down there and kick the teenagers out, my kids are on the top of the hill playing (when they were little), and they'd be down there smoking! I remember I complained to the police once about them, and the guy said "are you sure it's your land?" Wow...

We call it soda up here, and sweet tea has made its way up here, but I prefer the unsweetened kind, or the kind with 1/2 lemonade in it.

I know when I can't sleep (usually not a problem, but when the mind is racing) I turn the tv on with the timer, and I'm usually out before it goes off... just need something to listen to that's not inside my brain I guess. I know Tylenol PM has been recommended, and also Benedryl, but that makes you thirsty.

And if you say you're wearing a thong around here, you're not talking about your feet! Just think Victoria's Secret for thongs...

Oh Ann, my favorite, a nice piecevof ciabatta toasted, layered with either fresh basil or basil pesto, fresh mozzarella, and tomatoes. Love it. This year during summer BBQ s I spread a pretty plate with pesto and layered the tomato and mozzarella so it looked really attractive, it was really popular. I did grow some fresh basil outside the back door in a pot. It was lovely having it at my finger tips and the lovely fragrance of the plant would waft indoors:)

I am a bit hungry and that makes it hard to sleep.I haven't lost any weight this week, well I do have 2 days left, so I dropped my calories hugely and didn't eat much yesterday. I only had about 700 cal so a bit stupid. I just want to lose 2 kg (4.4lb) before I go to Hawaii in 2 weeks. Then I would have lost 22 lbs. When I have my next EMG, they won't have to dig for the muscles:)

Even tho it's only 4.30 am, I might just go have breakfast. I don't know much about Librium, except it's an old drug, I thought it was addictive over time? Hate pills.

Kimberley, hope your Gran has finally had her op and is ok.

Helen your post just popped up while I am just finishing this post so I am off to read it now!

Yes a thong here is also the weird bits of lace that my children call underwear! When my hubby's not here I us the tv in our bedroom but can't do that when he's sleeping. I might stop tapping on my iPad keys and try and get a nap before the family arises.

It's funny, this was my year learning to cope with just one child at home. Last count I have had 3 and sometimes 4 (Annas finance almost lives here) every night. Love it, the house buzzing. I told Jonny yesterday, that if he goes to university one more timevleaving the blinds down and the light on, I would charge him $50. Who cares if he's not my child! Poor boy blushed scarlet.

Okay everyone out there, who knows what a "toque" is? And no using the world's most popular search engine whose name we dare not speak.

And y'all are driving me crazy with your talk of fresh salads, ciabatta bread with cheese and OMG a Philadelphia cheese steak sandwich! Don't stop! :shock::shock:

Barry, as a (former) knitter I can answer--
a toque is a simple knit cap, like a watch cap. no brim, just a plain old warm pull-on knitted hat. Others may have better definitions.
Why? are you taking up knitting? :)
Sue

So in other words a beanie!

Sue, thanks for the definition of toque. I thought maybe it was what people did when they smoke marijuana (take a toque). Maybe a different spelling.
Aly, loved the thongs. I had forgotten that was what flip-flops were called in the 50's. (not that I was born in the 50's). The 60's they were called Zorries for the company that made them. Also our gas stations today used to be service stations; but, that was when they did your car repairs and actual service. Now of course all they do is steal your money. And my future son-in-law calls his truck a 4WD.
Helen, being from Maryland people here in the south say I have an accent and I pull that pahk the cah bit and then tell them they have the accent. When I first moved here 20 yrs ago this April, the neighbor boy came over selling something. I couldn't understand him and saw on the sheet that it came in boxes ,so I bought 2. The next week his mother brought 2 boxes of krispy kreme donuts (yeast donuts).
Ann, you actually sound like the little red hen with a twist.
And Barry, may I be the first to apologize about us women talking about food. I can't imagine what it is like to not be able to eat anything.
And everybody, thanks again for the prayers for my grandmother. Surgery was at 11:00 last night. Surgery was completed by 12:15 and she went back to her room at 5 am. My children and I were talking in our kitchen after dinner and I told them she would spend 30 days in rehab. Grayson (who will be 11 on April 8) pipes up and says Grandma Eva has a drug problem? Everybody just laughed and then I told her it was physical therapy. As the say, out of the mouth of babes; but, what do they hear on the tv and radio about celebs?

A Barry Beanie. Or a Barry Joint. Either way, Barry, you're the Bees Knees.

Aly, it isn't addictive. My doc had me add a 10 mg. dose every half hour until I was sleepy, and ten years ago, my dose was established. I sleep with earplugs and a white noise machine... the opposite of having a television on.

Kim, I am so glad your grandmother did well and is going to be going to rehab!

Just that toque is such a Canadian word. Everyone here knows what it is and has one.

Don't stop talking about food because of me, it's torture but I love it!

Spaghetti with red clam sauce tonight, Barry. With a green salad. But back to summer food. Yikes, blueberry pie with real piecrust, made from Crisco. Corn on the cob dripping with butter... and hamburgers off the grill. And that's enough for today...

Last edited:
Speaking of knitting, Sue... Back in the seventies there was a Mini Series on TV, and a French trapper was in it, who wore one of those caps with a rolled up brim. It was long, so that it could fold over and be very warm over the forehead and ears. I made one for Phil and he still wears it in the winter. But it was requested due to the TV show. Centennial, maybe? Anyway, I made 6 of those caps for Christmas presents that year. And also one for myself (not big enough, however). Then it was socks... It was such a cold winter here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back