Come For Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim, I hope your appointment goes very well. And yes, it does take some time to recover from anything unusual, let alone going out...

The time shown for my post is actually an hour earlier than I post--so I wrote that at 7:48 this morning, just before Phil got me up. He was late in getting me up, since he had to deal with all my needs before beginning work. And the result of that is to work late today. I like to sit up, read the forum, post on the Christian thread at least, before I'm put into motion. Once I go downstairs, I stay there until after breakfast. Then, back up for a few hours. The ride on the lift these days is difficult. Both pushing the bar so it moves, as well as jerking my neck as I get off the lift.

I do hope your grandmother does well, Kim.

Kim, Isn't there a song "those Were the Days, My Friend"? If we had only taken time to appreciate them when we had them. :) Or maybe it is the other way around and we should be thankful for what we have now - more time to enjoy the moments.

Another day filled with sunshine -- snow melting. From my office window I can see the dog rolling in a snow pile and the kitty sitting on the fence post watching him. She doesn't like snow and thinks, no doubt, that he is crazy! Both are enjoying the sunny day.

I'm heading out for a manicure today - a little girlish pampering is a good thing, now and then, don't you agree?

Toot-a-loo!

Dear Ann, my thoughts are with you, you take all that is thrown at you with such grace, I hope your day goes well wherever you may be sitting, you are blessed with a really good guy.

Snow melting, sound just lovely, the call of spring. Here the days are getting shorter and the morning chill is arriving, so the call of winter.

Kimberley, hope your appt goes well, rest up when you get home and don't overdo it. It took 2 days to recover from my day in Nelson. I am glad that I will only be doing it intermittently.

I too Dianne am having some pampering. Hairdresser today, facial tomorrow, can't wait.

Aly

Hello. Kim I do hope your gran's operation goes well. I'm not sure with the time difference whether she's already had the op or whether it's still to come. Either way I hope she's in the walking 50%

Joni, I sure am glad you asked about the mai tai cause I hadn't a clue and even with a list of ingredients still don't know what they all are! Still, very willing to try it out (at least virtually if not actually) instead of a cuppa tonight.

Liz, the birthday celebrations sounded really nice. I'm glad it was a good day.

Here visitors have come and gone. We had a lovely day with them. Mum managed a mammoth 5 hours in her chair and followed all the chat even though she can't put in her say. So proud of her. Naturally she's flat out now...tomorrow another effort as we go for first time to the national mnd clinic. Don't know what to expect so we'll just try to go with the flow. Sorry Aly for mentioning the banned medical stuff but it's just in passing....

Weather here mild. Showers and sunny spells. More rain due tomorrow. A fine excuse for a cup of the finest brew.

Oh gosh, it's not banned:) I mention it all the time. So glad it all went well. I see you are from Dublin. About 5 years ago I went for a Clinical trial meeting in Dublin for 2 days. Took 34 hours to get there on the plane and the same back! Glorious city. We were there the night Ireland bet England at rugby. The streets were alive with joyful people. They took us for dinner in some lovely old stately home, where we had fantastic dancers. I must go back sometime. Must admit it was cold.

Kimberely hope your gran is OK? Joni , how are you hanging in there?
Aly

Well banned might sound stronger than I intended but one of the delights of this thread for me is hearing about all the other stuff that goes on in our lives as well as mnd. Since I am mostly alone with my mother with not so many visitors I can often feel like I am nose to nose with losses & constant adaptation 24/7. Taking tea makes me feel human! So thanks for starting this enjoyable thread. And yes we are in Dublin which is just about as far away from NZ as you could go. Fab city with lots to see and do. Glad you got chance to visit but sorry it was only for 2 days. Long way to come for such a short time. Bet that was some jetlag when you got home!

Kim, if I read your post correctly, your grandmother is having her surgery at 9pm? Seems an odd time to do scheduled surgery, even though it is more of a scheduled emergency surgery. Keeping you in my thoughts...

First nice day here in 2 weeks, in the 50's and sunny, no wind... which is a good thing because evidently we have a high fire risk right now even though we had about 5 feet of snow this year! Seems that the sun is strong on the ground when the leaves haven't come out yet. All I know is I can't do my yearly brush burning anyway, so whatever. Tomorrow night is forecasted for more snow, though they can't tell us if it's 1-2 inches or 6-12" (inches, not feet!). Probably will go south of us anyway, and be rain on the Cape and the islands.

Hey ladies, the thing about mai tais (remember "my ties") is that NO ONE can make them correctly with a mix, you have to have all those ingredients, wave the magic wand and then you get the perfect cocktail. And one MUST put the garnish of an orange slice and a cherry stuck to a paper umbrella. I'm a purist on this... :) Although I do make a really good frozen strawberry daiquerie at home (don't know how to spell that!)

My Mom came over for tea today, and as we were sitting on the front porch, my daughter, one son, my roommate and a neighbor came and sat on the porch with us. Along with the dog who doesn't want to stay out of my dirt perennial garden. She thinks that it's there for her to dig into... only a few shoots coming through right now. Funny thing with my Mom and I, I can't walk right so didn't want to bring the tea out in case I tripped, and her hands shake so much with her tremors, that she has problem holding things. My daughter was laughing at us...

I also had some pampering this week, had my hair cut and colored! No more gray for a while! But tomorrow morning I have to get up around 5:30 a.m. to bring my daughter to school for her chorus field trip to Washington DC for a series of concerts. Third time she's staying in and around Washington, and I never have. Driven around it a few times on my way to Georgia and Florida, but never stopped and stayed. Guess I'm not much for cities, as I avoid New York City as well. And my daughter wants to go to NYU for college! Yikes! Boston, I can handle, though it's probably way harder to get around Boston due to the old "cow trails" theories of how the roads were devised.

I have a good question for the day: Does anyone here have rotaries still being used in their area instead of red lights at intersections?

Have a good night all!

Helen, "roteries" wouldn't be the circles, where cars join in as room becomes available, are they? If so, there are some to our north. Incidentally, I think your day was warmer than ours was. That's wild... but we're supposedly warming up with rain on its way tonight. Sitting on your porch drinking tea sounds so nice.

And you all are getting pretty with the manicures and hairdos. I've gone back to the fifties, gotten scrunchies and have a high ponytail to keep my hair out of the cervical collar. I just need a poodle skirt. This is not photo worthy, believe me.

Avril, 5 hours for your mum is a long time! Are you exhausted with all the extra work involved? I'll keep you in prayer tomorrow. A new clinic for her is a pretty big deal, especially after all the activity. I do hope it is helpful and you don't have a lot of waiting around.

Diane, I remember that song! Was it the theme song for a TV show or a movie? "Those were the Days, My Friend" has an unforgetable melody. OK, Mary Hopkins sang it in 1968, but it was written earlier, set to a Russian tune. I looked it up, obviously.

I'm now safely, happily, delightedly back in bed. Hope everyone has a good evening. Joni, thinking of you and Bruce. Kim, thinking of your grandmother. Aly, a kiss for you. A kiss for everyone....

Um, what is a rotary?
Aly

They are called traffic circles here and we have a few. They work great if there isn't a lot of traffic as there is almost no waiting but when there is a lot of traffic and drivers who don't know how to use them they are a nightmare.

hi all,
Rotary, traffic circles ?

Down here we call them Rounabouts, and we still have plenty.

This forum is great for learning what people call different things

Cheers

Peter

To all my gals, Just finished with dinner and was able to kick the kids off the computer. I don't know what is worse: drug withdraw or computer withdraw. I think computer. Again thanks for the prayers. My poor grandmother has been bumped back and forth all evening last time was to be 11 tonight and my sister texted me that they were taking her down about 930 tonight. They said they had an emergency, so what was she yesterday morning? Aaaaggghhh! If I had been there, I would have bi*&%#@ enough that they would have taken her right away.
Aly, I would like to change lives with you for a year. You have traveled a lot. I have been to 48 states, but that was when I was a child. I don't remember too much except Florida, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania.
Ann, if I could take away your problems I would. I just cannot believe that after all this time someone hasn't come up with some type of treatment. I mean when Rock Hudson was diagnosed with AIDS, it took Elizabeth Taylor to go before the medical boards and beg for better research. And since Lou Gehrig was a famous baseball player you would think that would have pushed things faster. Also, they say this is an orphaned disease (meaning not a lot of people get diagnosed) I have to differ. It seems every day another person comes on this site with the diagnosis.
And Dianne, I would love to have a manicure. But, you see I am a nail biter and since I cannot lift my left arm anymore I actually have nails on that hand. But on ther hand, since I am still able to lift it, I bite them. Wonder if I could have just one hand done with the fake nails and regular on the other hand?
Well, the drs appt went okay. Of course it had to rain and rain hard today so Lindsay and I "ran" between the rain drops (she ran, I rode). She has actually gotten quite good with steering the wheelchair. We haven't damaged too many corners or run over too many toes. After I told him about the creepy crawlers I have been having, the whole appt changed. He said he was going to get the appt for the swallow study again and send me to Emory or to Johns Hopkins, my choice. Now the dilemma: Go to Atlanta and stay the night (about 5 hr drive) or drive to Maryland (10 hr drive) but have to put up with a sister and father who would take over the appt. I hate to say this, but I actually called my husband and talked to him about it. I hadn't mentioned too much about what has been going on and I know you guys probably wonder how. As I told you all before, we have fallen out of love a long time ago, we live in the same house but it is so large that I could be in one part and not have to see him, and last I unfortunately can hold a grudge for a LONG time. One time it was 18 months before I spoke to him. Maybe this is my payback. Anyway, I think I am going the Emory route only because I would rather go with him than have to deal with my sister and father.
And to everyone, I am glad we had another day together, whether it be cold and snowy or rainy or beautiful sunshine. And yes Dianne I have actually started to think everyone should live like they have an expiration date stamped on the bottom of their foot! Good night to you all my wonderful friends.

To Peter, here's a few I have had to get used to from down south. A shopping cart up north and a buggy in the south. A garden hose and outside faucet up north, down south a hose pipe. People "stay" in homes in the south and we "live" in homes in the north.

Sleep well Kimberely, you need a spell of peace. I would swap with you in a second if I could. I NEVER forget that i am most fortunate, helps having a neurologist as a hubby. Just think, its people like all you guys that keeps me enjoying the pool and travelling the world, well that makes me feel extremely humble and uncomfortable.
I need to do something about it, just not sure what.

We have roundabouts like Peter, but here in NZ we can spell unlike Aussies who miss the D out of "roundabout" :). you cant really blame them, they are Australians after all.

We have lemonade,, which is bubbly not flat and called ?Sprite in USA. You have Tomaytos, we have tomartos!
We have Jandals, Aussies have thongs, UK have flip flops, so what does the USA call them?
In UK squash is a drink, here it is a vegetable. UK call ice blocks Lollies, where as a lollie here is another name for a sweet. We have a
4WD , USA have an SVU.

Very intriguing.

We have SOCCER, but they are trying to change it to Football like UK.

Aly

Aly, I have one question for you

Just what are tomartos ?

Over here we have the tomato, you know the main ingredient in Tomato Sauce, also they are nice grilled and the cheese and tomato roll, well it would be only a cheese roll without the humble tomato.:lol: :lol:

Please let me know what it is because i need to learn something new every day and to date nothing new today. I already knew my speling was crook. :lol: :lol:

Oh one thing we do have here is Coopers, just might have one tonight.:smile:

Cheers
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back