Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
OS
State
Darkside of Moon
City
country
Today is awful, I can not hardley move because of cramps or spasms, legs and all around my core muscles, arms and hands,when i try and use them, so afraid it will affect my breathing. What should I do go to hospital or what, have taken valuim, should I also take zanzflex? do they mix well. I am so miserable. any advise is welcome. Anyone else experience this? Will it go away on its own? Help

I'll be following this thread. I'm newly diagnosed and haven't experienced too many cramps yet and have no idea how to deal with them if/when they start. Hang in there girl.
As an aside. As soon as I got the diagnosis, I started thinking about moving to a warmer climate. I'm across from San Francisco, CA. Thought about San Diego then realized Kaiser is in Hawaii too. I'm scheduled at the California Pacific Medical Clinic ALS clinic next month, then...we'll see. If I won't be meeting with them too often, I'll consider moving. Do you think Hawaii, in general, is handicap friendly (accessible)?

ed

Okay I think Hawaii is paradise..We have a member or two from Hawaii. And I love San DIego, Liked San Fran. and I love California in general.. Choices,Choices, all sound awesome...

As far as cramps go - I am fortunate to live in Canada because we can get Quinine which really works. I want to also say for you to enjoy them because when you stop experiencing them you will not be moving as there is no muscle left.

My dr just prescribed baclofen to help with my leg spasticity-- have you asked your Drs opinion? Lots of PALS on here have way more experience with this drug than I do-- you could search for posts about it.
Good luck!

We found quinnine sulphate tablets to be the only thing to work with any decent effect. If they're not available in the US I guess tonic water would be a start as it has quinnine in it. Hope you get some relief soon notgivinup...love the name.

I take Magnesium Citrate (at 300mg a day), which has made my cramps virtually disappear! I also have loose stools because of it, but that's a trade I'm more than happy to make.

My doctor recommended a Magnesium, Calcium & Zinc mix for my cramping. I'm not a fan of the sedative effects that some muscle relaxers have, so I'm trying to avoid those. I've been taking this mix for a month or so, some days are better than others, but the night cramping is definitely better. I still have an occasional "bad" one every couple of nights. Some people on this site recommend deep tissue massage. Good luck.

notgivnup, Were you able to find something for relief? I take Baclofen and it helps. When I awake in the morning all my muscles stiffen up and sometimes they cramp as a result. It is also hard to talk when I first awaken also. I was in Maui recently and I agree it is Paradise!

The recurrent message that I am reading throughout this thread is what PALS Doctors are prescribing or directing.

I hope that you have access to a doctor that you have confidence in. There is no one solution that works for all of us. Sometimes my spasms are difficult to endure, but not unpleasant. You may have to work with your doctor on a trial and error basis. Admittedly, none of these drugs work perfectly.

Hang in there.

I take Vitamin E daily for Cramps, seems to work since when I don't take it, they are a problem.

Stretching & light exercise also helps me with the cramps, as does (I've recently learned from experience) acupuncture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back