Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
CALIFORNIA
City
san diego
i m wondering if and when pals becom paralized do limbs become limp or do they becom stiff. i notice my legs are a little stiffer and my right hand fingers are curling. can limbs be come stuck in a curled fixed postion?:eek:

i m wondering if and when pals becom paralized do limbs become limp or do they becom stiff. i notice my legs are a little stiffer and my right hand fingers are curling. can limbs be come stuck in a curled fixed postion?:eek:

In my case, my arms simply became limp and flaccid (no muscle tone at all), which is typical of lower motor neuron damage. My ALS has been LMN dominant from the start, so flaccid paralysis was more likely to occur.

And, yes, limbs and particularly fingers can get stuck in a curled position. That's why most of us have passive range-of-motion therapy or even special braces to prevent the curling from leading to permanent contracture in the tendons and ligaments around the joints.

Maybe someone who has PLS or UMN-dominant ALS can chime in and give you the view from the other side of the spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back