Diagnosis
12/2009
Country
CA
State
MB
City
Landmark
We are looking for a new van to accommodate me for now( I ride in a scooter at this time) and that will suit our needs until the end when I am in a powerwheel chair. For those who have had experience will we need a van with a powerlift on the side or does a ramp into the rear of the vehicle work?

I would recommend a ramp. Personally I prefer the side entry ramp because it allows me to ride upfront but either would work.

We went with side entry with the ramp. The front passenger seat is removable so he sits up front but there is an option for him to be in back as well. Getting air is an issue so being up front is a necessity. We only have a loaner pwc that isn't a real fit but we knew the dimensions of the soon to be delivered chair so we could be sure the chair would actually fit and be manuverable inside. We also have the easy locks which are great. We went used, older model with low miles. I had to laugh at the salesman as he explained that the later models have a much more modern styling - I don't care what year, it's still a minivan. We went with a power ramp.

We just got our van a few weeks ago. We went with the side ramp. That way we can take out the front passenger seat and my wife can sit up front. The ramp is a power ramp. Very simple design that works quite well. My wife has an Invacare power chair and there's plenty of room to get in and maneuver the chair into position.

I'm relatively new to this website, so I'm not sure what the rules are for naming products, etc., so I thought I'd send this as a separate entry. The van we got was from AMS Vans in Norcross, GA. Based on the research we did, it was the best deal. We purchased a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country with about 40,000 miles. They buy them used with low miles and convert them themselves, so the ramp and conversion is brand new. I live in IL and had the van delivered to me rather than go down and get it. There was an extra charge for that, but it was worth it. I picked the van out over the internet. They have a lot vans available each with a bunch of photos. They have the price listed for each one. So you can just pick the one you want. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back