Status
Not open for further replies.
Hal- if you are speaking of a typical gait belt, then these need to be pulled fairly tight around the abdomen. almost uncomfortably tight- the reason being is when a person stands, some of their belly goes away, thus making the belt looser. if she can tighten it up real tight, it should stay put when she stands you and shouldnt hit your peg.
i wouldnt suggest doing this right after a feeding though, as it may push the formula back up.
hope this helps.

pumpdoc,
I know how hard it was to give up my recliner. I knew the day was coming too fast, but I knew a serious fall was at the threshold. After I conceded to letting my recliner go, It did not take long before I felt comfortable kicking back in my powerchair. It sounds like you are at a decision place.

Tried to sleep in the powerchair, it has a hard lumbar support extremly uncomfortable 24/7.

I found that using a transfer sling - it just goes across the back, was usually much easier to use than the gait belt while assisting my husband with transfers. I probably use the transfer belt 95% and the gait belt 5% of the time. The transfer sling wouldn't interfere with a peg if you have one. We also use the transfer sling in combination with the pivot board at times.

(((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))) that totally suxs ! I felt everything with your words, that was a serious fall, hopefully will not happen again, stay safe & heal fast, thinking of you.

10steps, what is the name of the transfer sling/belt that you use? (brand?)

I can't find any tags on it and it was given to us by an ALS organization that is remarkable. The cost should be reasonable - it's well made but not techy. Padded on one side with maybe 2 strips of a heavy plastic encased within the sling. It has 2 padded grab straps on both ends. Extremely useful as we use it daily either for transfers or just standing him up - he relies on stasticity to be able to stand and he has no upper body strength so this keeps him right in front of me instead of flopping over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back