Come For Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
i never look forward to my birthdays and its for totally selfish reasons. noone has ever done anything super nice for me and its all ive ever wanted so its always a let down.
guess i should be happy that i still get to have birthdays, though.

helen, can i ask why you are selling your house?

Aly, that's why I need a few more shows!
And Liz; my POOR Liz, To never see the ocean. After my oldest girls wedding, I will be able to save money and I will start a fund for you to fly to the coast so you can see it. My retirement years were to be spent on the beach under a palm tree, sipping sweet tea and reading books. I probably will never see it. And I know how you feel about birthdays. Even as a kid birthdays weren't a big deal in my home. And since my husband was raised in a Jehovah's Witnesses home, he's never been big on birthdays. I thought when I turned 50, he would do something just a cake but he didn't even wish me Happy Birthday.

Well I think that just sucks that you two don't have good birthdays! And Liz, my profile picture was taken at the beach in Rhode Island... (the black on the front is the top of my son's head - he always has a mop of hair!)

I was surprised that all the people I know (or used to know) on Facebook wished me a happy birthday, kinda nice! And at least this year my son made me a cake. His sister was supposed to do it last year, and the little sh** never did! And after all I did for that girl.... :)

My Mom never gave us much for our birthdays (and still doesn't), but she always made the cake of our choice (which was always strawberry short cake) and our favorite dinner (that she could afford to make). I do the same with my kids, but I take them out for their big day. Used to take all 3 of them out, but now that no kids' menus are involved, I can't afford it! Plus the birthday kid likes to get out without the siblings along.

My "hubby" doesn't do much, but finally learned to at least get me a card...

Hey, I think our thread is disappearing, we may need to start a new one!

Hi Liz, forgot to answer your question: my hubby and I bought it 11 years ago on 2 incomes, and since about 2005, I've been paying for basically everything... and I just can't afford it anymore. My taxes have nearly tripled since we bought it. It's an awesome house – I'll try to upload a photo, but its just too big for me to keep clean... even though I can easily fill it all up with my junk! I tried to sell it a couple of years ago, but within 2 weeks of it going on the market, the Bernie Madoff and the banking bull**** hit, and no one was buying anything. So I took it off and tried to do Obama's Making Homes Affordable program which is a total joke. I qualify on so many levels, yet... I don't. That, after about 15 months of them saying to resubmit this, resubmit that... Total jerks those banking folks are! ANYWAY, I digress.

Bottom line, my house is a victorian, and though I could move my bedroom to the first floor, and figure out where to put an additional bathroom, I can't afford it... and if I stop working, I'll really be in a pickle.

Anyone wanna move to beaucolic Southborough, Mass.? Great hospitals in Boston, Worcester, Burlington... and only an hour to the ocean! :)

i myself would love to move there, but my friend from there says its so expensive compared to here.
i was just looking at a 3 bed 3 bath home with hardwood floors, and inground pool, and 10 acres of land for $155,000!
he told me a house like that would be over $400,000 by you guys!
Momof6- that is a very sweet offer, and i thank you. but i would feel horrible accepting that sort of gift! hopefully one day i will get to see it. birthdays as a child really sucked for me to. i never had a party. and apparently, now that im an adult, i pick jerks to call my partners as none of them have done anything special for me. makes me cry every year. poo.

Liz, I'm for real on the offer. I have always had an open door policy in my home...I also own an old home (about 130ish yrs old). It was a boardibg house for the last mill in a 3 county area. It has 10 bedrooms, heart pine floors, wrap around porch, you name it. The only problem with it is it still needs work, has no air conditioning, no heat, and is right by the railroad tracks and crossing. I have had so many people in and out of my home for many years. We have had foreign exchange students, foster children, teenagers who had no place to go to (which is funny since my own daughter has left), and right now we have a young man with us who does not drive and got a job 40 miles from where he lived. Sooo he moved in with us and between my 2 oldest girls they drive him back and forth to work. And I know what you mean about jerks. I think mine didn't show his true colors until we moved 550 miles away from our hometown. Now I am stuck here and have been home for over 20 yrs. I would have to start school all over in order to get a job and then who would hire me (well actually if someone hired me they would get that great tax break for hiring the disabled).
Helen, are you the one that married/had children later in life? And who is the one that never married? Sometimers disease is hitting me right now!

And for the TV Show Docs: Why can't we get House to diagnose us?

House is so frickin yummy, i dont even know what else to say

The dr I went to see about the Botox treatments was some good looking eye candy. And he was from Croatia. So I melted real fast!

Helen, I thought of burning mine down but no longer have insurance on it, so it's no longer an option. And the upkeep on old homes-aagh I finished fixing cracks in the horsehair plaster, sand and paint and then would move on to the next room and more cracks would appear. Maybe I should use the Botox on my house.

Now that's an idea, Botox for old houses! Your household sounds similar to mine, we had a french exchange student last summer for 4 weeks, and I have a roommate on the third floor to help pay expenses. And a friend who was homeless has bounced back here again as well. You should put that young man to work around the house in exchange for living there.

No heat? Brrr, my house has to have heat, its cold up here in New England! I have horsehair plaster as well, and have done the same room by room by room. I tried to reduce the amount of homeowners' insurance on my house, as it is insured for more than the town has it appraised at. The answer I got was that it was insured to rebuild it. As if you could ever rebuild this house with all its gorgeous woodwork to begin with! So I said to the lady at the insurance company, "huh, I'd get more money if it burned to the ground than trying to sell it?" She didn't think that was too funny. They just want more money. Another reason to downsize.

Yes, I started my family at 35, had my second at 39, my third at 41. He's 11 now, so you can do the math! Thought I'd be better off financially if I waited a while, and frankly, the only one I would have married in my twenties didn't work out. Its funny, I look at hubby and think "what happened?" Even without any botox, I'm definitely in better shape than him, even with my gimpy walk... That's why I'm on the "AT LEAST" 10-year plan, I have kids to grow up into responsible adults before I go anywhere.

I'm off to go holler at the 11-year-old who should be in bed, but isn't yet again. And then I'm off to bed myself. Ladies, have a good evening, and talk to you tomorrow!

Ok. If you two get together then I want to come as well. I have always dreamed of seeing that part of the States. I have only beeh to LA and absolutely HATE it. As long as its not July (will be in UK) then I will come. I could stop by on the way home I suppose?

It will be cool to walk slowly with someone else. :)
Aly

Helen, I had my last at 39 1/2. She's 11. I turned 50 last October. And re about the house, I actually told my ins co (when we had ins) that if I was standing there with a can of gas in one hand and a cigarette in the other I DID NOT BURN THE HOUSE DOWN! We had always been uninsured. The house is about 4100 sq ft. Too big to heat and too big to cool. But like I have told others we have air in the winter and heat in the summer. And the young man pays $50 a week to cover his food expenses. I want him to get on his feet and the money goes towards Courtney's wedding. After May, I will use it for Lindsay's wedding plans. And any extra is going to go for Liz to see the ocean. I guess we take so many things for granted. How many times I would see someone park in the handicap space and they would be wearing heels. I have never been able to wear heels.
And Aly, the saying people used to say about me was, "One more, she won't notice" and it was true. I used to take kids into the city to do arts and crafts, shop, go to eat, bowling , whatever. I never, ever had just my kids. So come on, the more, the merrier. But isn't there a great guy here that would want to join us?

I had my last at 38, a vascectomy baby and gift from GOD. He is my angel. I will be 50 on July 12 (Julius Caesars Birthday). I am always away for it. Sam has his 3 week winter break, so its enough time to jump on a plane. It will be cheaper this year as hes the only one left at home. I could geta round the worls ticket and visit my gal pals. Not that I really understand where everyone lives. I know where Boston is cause Hubby had a conference there.
You are right Kimberely when you have kids around, the more the merrier( until they are snotty 18 year olds)! Just had to go out and jump start my daughters car. She had left the headlights on all day! Never done it before. Apart from the fact that we were blocking the car park, it went OK. She carries jumper leads cause she is always doing it. She may be training to be a Dr and supper bright, but?
Kittys rubbing on my legs, so she either wants dinner or to make me stink like her. Now she is sticking her melly bottom in my face, so better go before the dribbling statrs. oh too late, gross its running sdown my fingers.
yuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back