Diagnosis
11/1111
Country
US
State
ma
City
medford
I have a wonderful group of people assisting my family through "Lotsa Helping Hands". A different person brings us a delicious meal once a week...lovely! My dilemma...the same three families do the majority of the cooking. I know they will protest but I must figure out a way to pay for, at least, the actual food they must buy for these meals. Their generosity of time is priceless but food at the grocery store is not!

Any creative ideas rather than just trying to make them take cash?

Julie

I know exactly what you mean! What about a gift certificate for them to go out to dinner one night? That is what I'm thinking about doing.

I did give one family a case of wine for Christmas since I knew what she liked.

Can you find out where they buy their groceries? Maybe get each of them a gift card for that supermarket

I've used Omaha Steak website in order to send what I know the families enjoy, but get them special meals, fancier than normal. I've also had my shoppers get gift cards at their stores to give to my caregivers. Then (I'm not recommending this, lol) we have organically fed chickens, strictly for their eggs, and give cartons of eggs to all our helpers.

I totally understand what you are saying about receiving so often...people really do not expect or want anything in return. I have found that there is never any way possible to repay..monetarily or gift wise for all the kindness I have received. I find a thank you note means the world to people. Save your money for your families care. ALS is expensive!

i agree with kelly. just mentioning that you would like to try to "repay" or show your appreciation with a gift would most likely be enough for your helpers. it takes good people to volunteer their time. i doubt they would accept a monetary gift.

A friend of mine who has a teenage daughter, with a really horrible illness told me once, that her daughter "Allows other's to be good," it has always stayed with me. She said, my daughter grant's other's the grace of goodness. Really moving, and it really made me think...She told me that sometimes she could do something herself, but she would sit back and let them be good, and she could feel the joy radiate from them..

I've been reading a book called Boyhood and Beyond during school carpool. One chapter is about how a boy wrote a letter to his friend that had worked so very hard with him at a neighbors house. He praised his friend and admired him for his work. He sent it via snail mail, even though he lived two houses down. The letter touched, not only the recipient, but his little sister (admiration), his mother (pride), and his father (more pride). The recipient was a little embarrassed, but he was proud that his friend would take the time to write with his own hand such a letter! It boosted his confidence and solidified this friendship.

Nowadays a letter of thanks goes a long ways, I think. I don't know what you are limited to, but you could ask a very good friend to write for you if you are unable to do so. Just a thought...

As a good Southern girl, hand written thank you notes sent via snail mail go without saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back