ALS belly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Liz

My husband was an athlete and had a washboard stomach before he got ALS so I know what he is talking about. His distended belly bothered him and so did his broad shoulders that wasted away and muscular frame.

How much I hate this stinking disease and my heart goes out to both of you.

Love on him, as I am sure you do.

Patty :)

Well, Kimberly, to tell you the truth, I can't do a thing about it. A year ago I'd be trying lotions and feeling peculiar... but the thing that makes it just another ALS "thing" lacking any emotion, is that Phil showers me... and he's in the shower with me, and I have to say it doesn't seem to bother him one whit. If Phil's OK, Ann's OK.

Sigh - it is just one more thing ALS takes away from us - being able to be concerned about body image

From the Buddha belly to drooling all over the place.

I feel like the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney - cuz of my sunken chest

Yep..my hubby has it too! Went to get him dressed (really dressed) today and could hardly button his pants.......some serious muffin top going on...we just laughed.....and will be shopping for a bigger size! Big is beautiful!

hey Liz, I just came from clinic checkup and i lost weight since last visit. Although I lost weight my belly has grown. Doc said its because musel lost and im in chair 13hr a day so not much can be done .

thanks guys. i know he knows better, but is being stubborn.
when he gets a thought in his noggin, he goes with it. even if its wrong.
so i guess we will see what happens here.

Not being able to continue any real aerobic exercise is a big part of this.

I wish there was a way to still get our bodies cranked up in this way.

My husband has it too. I had in fact bought smaller waist pants expecting his waistline to shrink with the weight loss and have had to purchase a size larger than when he was diagnosed. I will enjoy explaining to him that he has an ALS belly not the typical beer belly. Do bad he didn't get it from the other way. That would have been much more fun!
Janis

AAAARGHH!

So infuriating! Just returned from my daughter's school. A caregiver of another child who I had not seen for a while came up and patted me on the belly "Putting on a bit of weight eh?"

I know she didn't mean any harm by it - but it really hit a nerve- I could have screamed at her - but what is the point

Last edited:
Much better than yelling is calmly explaining why and watching them shrink in embarassment! No matter the reason, what a horrendously rude thing to do to someone!

rcharlton- im so very sorry.
im thinking you should have patted her on the head and said "getting a little rude, eh?"
i know its so much easier said than done, but dont let it get to you too much.
personally, i mean this not because my PALS has a belly and am trying to be nice- i like a belly on guys.
i find it more realistic than those who have washboard abs. have always preferred it that way.

Agree. Imperfections make us who we are..Another lesson from Joel C...

Tell him that my husband is 5'7" and 86 lbs and has a belly too! There is no way around it when the muscles are not there.

darywlenka- thank you for sharing that. though im sorry to hear that! this may be exactly what he needs to hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back