Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
WI
City
Beaver Dam
Ok guys- this is so utterly wrong, I dont even know what to say.
I need you guys to back me up here.
My PALS tells me yesterday that he is actively trying to LOSE weight.
He has been refusing two out of his five cans of Jevity a day.
He says he is too fat. I asked him where all this supposed fat is. He said his belly.
I tried explaining to him that he has the classic ALS belly. Its not necessarily fat, but more like his guts, because theres no muscle to hold them all in.
He is 6 ft tall and weighs 155-160 lbs.
I am so upset by this. He doesnt believe me that its not fat.
Even if it was, its not like he has a huge belly.
I also told him that it wouldnt look that big if he was able to stand. Everyone has a bit of a belly when they sit.
I even went as far as to tell him that its so ridiculous that he has been fighting so hard for almost 9 yrs and now we could lose him from lack of nutrition- not ALS.
What the hell?
Please guys. Help me set him straight. I will read to him what you all say.
Thank you.

I to have strugled with the same thing. im not eating any more and im getting as you so put it ALS belly. i noticeed as my ab musel go my belly grows. and its not just my belly that has changed my arms and legs too theres no musel to hold things back so it hangs lose.

Liz I have defianately noticed this with Bruce,and I think it is just what you said. Please no dieting!

Tell him he is absolutely scrumptious just the way he is:) I am having a similar problem with my backside. It doesn't balloon out but I have lost lots of muscle so it has recently started drooping downwards.

ALS belly is a more specific form of what is known in the crip world as "quad gut" or "quad tire". Some quads, especially young vain guys (usually in their 20's or 30's), use elecro stim to make their abs pull in, even though they get no usable strength from them. They literally spend up to $100 on leads a month to make an unusable 6 pack. Tell your hubby about this, and give him the chance to show he's more mature. ;)

Tell him to look at some oof the pics in my album. I've got it too.

AL.

My husband has it, too. There is a guy here - 6 ft., 130 lbs. and he has it. Can you show him a weight/height chart? I think it would show that he is significantly underweight for his height.

I am what I consider overweight at 6'-1" and 235....I have this same condition, but more from my weight than muscular issues. Ok; well maybe some muscular issues too.

I told Dr. Glass at Emory that I wanted to get into the gymn and loose about 30 pounds. He said: "Don't do it; you will need your weight later"

While some might say; "alright! Ice cream every night!" I find it worrisome both for my vanity and what I have thought of as being healthy. I now am just trying to maintain this same weight and tone up as I can.

Well; I must be on David's bad boy list....another:

Bad Balance
Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting.

I know at the ALS clinic I attend they insist that you do not lose any weight. As a matter of fact they even are doing a clinical study involving people who are on feeding tubes where they feed them a high fat diet. They have stressed to me that maintaining your weight is crucial because once you start losing weight they find that you begin going down hill quickly. Tell him to stay strong and keep the faith (and the belly) !

thank you all.
thats what i have been trying to tell him but he seems to be stuck in his ways.
cant train an old dog.....
i will tell him what you all have said and hope he snaps out of it!

Its just a toolshed...whats the big deal?

Oh, Phil M, I like that--a "toolshed". I really struggled with this, too, Liz. Everything else went south, other than the pregnant belly. Oh, and due I suppose to my age, my arms and legs are getting elephant wrinkles as the muscle leaves. Truly a "beautiful look"...for an elephant. Tell him that he is underweight, and you have a thing for his belly... so he'd better keep it.

Oh, Ann, Thank you for that response about the wrinkles. What weight that is left is all in the belly. And since the weight loss have wrinkles that should be on a sharpei not on me! I guess there isn't anything we can do but live with it? I can live with the belly just not the wrinkles...does anyone have suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back