View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 02:48 PM #11 (permalink)

JOY is an unknown quantity at this point
JOY is an unknown quantity at this point

Johnny

I think the end is a very personal choice for all of us, because of the unknown we tend to be afraid to let go of this physical body and life leaving the people who are comforting us and caring for us and who we love and who love us.

How to make this choice must be a daily struggle for you, I do not know how I could make it for myself and for my family. I do know that my brother declined any aggresive treatment offered to him including feeding tubes trachs ect... I cannot explain his decisions only that it was his choice and we had to respect that from him.

I remember reading a story of an pals on the net of how for the last 10 years of his life he was hooked up to all of the equipment possible to allow
him to continue a sort of existance, he had his circle of friends and family come to visit and he had on his ceiling a word chart that he could communicate as he had lost all muscle control except his eyes. Close friends could determine his wishes and deciphre his needs. He finally asked to be unhooked and choose a date for his death, he was not considered by any means as a quitter rather he had decided it was time to leave he no longer wished to be here. His doctor like yours unhooked his breathing appartus and gave him morphine and they put his fathful dog on h is bed with him and surrounded by all his friends and family he left peacefully. If I can go and look to see where I read his story I will post it for you so you could look at it if you want.

No one can consider als patients quitters, given my little experience with this disease I consider that the bravest of all hereos need to rest from the battle and it is up to them to decide when. All my best wishes and love to you and your family you are definetly the hero in this story. Joy