Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
xxxxx
City
xxx
Hi. I posted some time ago about National Jewish referring me to a neurologist because my swallowing and breathing muscles seemed to be weakening more than would be expected with myositis. Neurologist had EMG done that showed weakness in tongue and neck. He called and told my husband there was mild nerve damage in my tongue, probably due to arthritis, see him again in 4 months and call if anything changed.
I continue to work everyday, but am having more problems speaking. Yesterday our charge nurse noticed it and said she wondered what was wrong; I sounded like I was stuttering and stumbling over words. I was reading to a patient for about 1/2 an hour and by the end, the words were a little slurred and my mouth felt like it was moving in slow motion.
Now I am getting concerned; this could impact my job. Should I call the neuro or just wait until May? I'm not usually indecisive, but the EMG has been done. Don't know if there would be a point to calling.
Thanks. Sorry to bother. Julie

This would be a new symptom you are experiencing, so I would call the doc and inform them, and ask for a course of action on understanding what is going on. Best wishes.

Remember, Dr's work for you; it's your health, so if you have a legitimate concern or question I would feel free o reach out to him.

Js58. If the EMG found weakness then the weakness would be expected to cause some dysphasia especially after 1/2 hour of reading. That is a lot of strain. You don't have bones in your tongue so as far as I know you cannot get arthritis in your tongue!arthritis is inflammation of a joint. An EMG would shows a disruption in the normal workings of a nerve.

I would say if you are experiencing slurred speech then that is a cause for some concern. I would talk to your doctor again about it.

I agree. Talk to the Dr. You stated you originally went in because of swallowing and breathing problems. This is a new symptom and he told you to call if there was anything new.
Good luck to you- and oh, no bother at all!

Thanks for all the answers. Aly, I agree with what you are saying and have wondered about that. Even if there is nerve damage in my tongue due to the nerve in the neck area, it doesn't address the muscle weakness. And that's what the EMG showed.
Thank you all again. I will contact neuro next week. Got hit late Wednesday with a bad bug. It was nasty. Take care to all of you. Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back