View Single Post
Old 01-12-2004, 07:14 PM #9 (permalink)

JOY is an unknown quantity at this point
JOY is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Johnny
No it is not rude for you to ask at all, the breathing is a voluntary muscle control which as you know is the reason for people suffering from als to loose control of their body functions such as all movement in areas effected by voluntary muscle actions.

When Debbie described her mom's last breaths I think although I could stand to be corrected was what is referred to as the death breath, and not a suffering at all. I was present with my aunt who passed away from liver disease and she also displayed the three gasping breaths that my brother Craig also took. I have been present and witness to my two grandchildrens births and have watched as they struggled to take their first breaths in of life well I can describe the last breaths I have witnessed as a release of the breath we take in at birth it is a pushing out of the air from the lungs rather than an intake. It may look like the last breath is a suffering but contrary it is a letting go of life and a release. This is how the als patients leave when they no longer can control the muscles used to breathe in the air. Hope this answers your questions. Joy