Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I love it and I hate it; if you know what I mean.

One more thing that means I cannot pretend it will be ok....damn.

On the happy side, it does help with my stability.

I do not like using my cane either. I am glad yours is helping with balance and if you can still get around even with the use of a cane then thats wonderful! I have a hard time holding on to my cane. I have a tendency to drop it alot. I also have injured my wrist from using it and now must wear a wrist brace if I am going to use it.

Joyce, there's something wrong with that picture. Jerry, I'm glad you're finding it helpful. I waited too long, and needed a rollator walker when I'd begun to use the cane. I also, however, had a couple of falls with the cane; one directly in front of a tall, fit PT while going in to pick up my AFOs. He did catch me.

Anne, my husband also waited too long for the cane. He had a couple of nasty falls and went straight to the walker.

I'm glad you have it to use! Mine comes in handy every now-and-again.

We are an interesting club at least....lol

Thanks guys.

My pair of canes still travell everywhere with me on the back of my chair! It's been a while since they were of much use (just a few steps now and then); but they make me feel very mobile! How amazing though, I remember when they were the scaryiest things, and I was so embarrased to graduate from one cane to two. Ah well.......

I used my cane a lot a year ago and it helped me a lot when we were in Arizona last year at this time but it doesn't do it anymore. I still take it in my chair to extend my reach for doors, door opener buttons and to bash shoppers in Walmart who don't hear my horn. :twisted:

Oh Barry how I like that picture of you educating walmart shoppers. My mum went from a tripod type cane to a wheelchair to a powerchair. People gave us a bit of a wide berth when we were on the tripod on one side and me on the other and even when she was first in the wheelchair. Now that she's in a powerchair (sadly with me at the controls at this stage) we need a bit more space. People act like we're invisible. It's infuriating sometimes.

So bad balance I hope you're doing ok with that cane and that it helps you with your stability for a long time to come. Though the aids are awful at first, if it means getting around in freedom, isn't that something to be treasured?

I got a pretty pink one with spots on and a nice paisley one to go with my more subdued outfits. Once I got them and used them once I was able to put them away and have not had to use them. I was just lucky and managed to realign my walking to stop falling over( except last week) . I just lift my droopy foot a bit higher!
For me it was a big thing mentally. They are there if I need them, which is a comfort, and playing around with colours at least made it a bit of fun. I would hate for my cane to clash with my clothes. That would never do.

I think men tho have to use boring colour. I feel sorry for them :). Gosh now I am all nervous about being jovial. No offense intended for the more serious members, honest.

I too got my first cane last year and mine had hibiscus flowers all over. I should have gone wih a walker but only had use of one arm. So the cane it was. Now if I go any distance it's a manual wheelchair, unfortunately it's red. If I had chosen it it would have been hot pink or turquoise. Something flashy. Just remember when looking at med equipment to ask others because my cane may be pretty the handle is hard and shaped wrong so that's why I only use it for short distances.

I am blessed in not having to have knee replacements, thanks probably to ALS. My parents each had double knee replacements and Dad had a very functional cane in "aluminum with a black handle and--ta da--a strap". So that's what I used. Now he has my red metallic rollator.

Barry's use of the cane for pulling things occurred to me, also. Bashing was done without the cane in Walmart by way of bad driving.

Boy this stuff will sneak up on you. Today my boys wanted to get me out of the house. They took me to a dog park with the new cane. It was a great help, but....wow; am I drained.

We had a guy in a wheel chair visit a martial arts training camp once to do a "demo" on self defense. Between his cane and the chair he was a formidable opponent.

I guess the tactic for us is do what we can but know our limitations to not get overly wrung out. Tomorrow will be a rest day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back