Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
WI
City
Beaver Dam
You know that old saying- when you assume you make an a** out of u and me?
Boy oh boy did i learn a lesson today!
My PALS wanted to go on the computer today and i really didnt feel like it. So after I stomped around for a minute or two, we went on- though i wasnt too happy about it. Anyway, while we were goofing around on the computer, I started wondering why he never got an eyegaze. So when we were done, I asked him.

"Babe, how come you never got an eyegaze? Did you ever look into it at least?"
To which he replies
"What is that?"

OMG. Here is where the assumption part of this comes in. This whole time (3yrs) Ive been ASSUMING that he chose not to use an eyegaze. Nope. He had no clue it even existed. So I spent some time telling him the very little bit i know about it. Told him that he could go on the computer himself... and that he could talk again.
He almost cried. My poor PALS has gone over 6 years with no voice. He couldnt communicate with anyone unless they learned how to spell things out with him- which noone in his family did, except for mom.
He hasnt been able to talk to his kids. He hasnt been able to talk to his friends. Shoot, he has never said one word to his 3 grandkids. All because noone ever told him about this option and I assumed that he knew about it.

Here is the problem. They are very expensive and he doesnt have the money for one. Also, (and im sorry, but i still cant figure out how to work the search thing to well on here) I dont know alot about them. Is it eye movement that controls it? Because he cannot move his head at all. He also cannot blink on demand so if blinking controls it, then its a no go. What else can be done with them, or is it mainly for going on the computer and talking?

I am so excited about this, but sad too because i dont know if i will be able to get him one. But can you imagine the look on his grandkids faces when the next time they stop in, grandpa can actually say something to them?
Also, his mom is having a really hard time reading his eyes lately, as her eyes are getting bad. If he could just "talk" to her, that would save so much time and heartache.

Where do i start guys?

I have not, yet, used an eye-gaze. I have enough movement in my head for a headmouse. Does your ALS Society loan closet have one? Maybe Stu at ALSGA can help. I will do a search for what you need.

It would be wonderful if he got one! I talk to my grandchildren and everyone else with my NetBook. It is wonderful.

im sorry joel. there i go, assuming again- i thought you didnt have any head movement.
I dont know about the ALS loan closet, as he has nothing to do with them. He stopped his clinic visits many years ago and
never got any services from them because he supposidly had to high of an income? Something like that. I dont even know where to start with them...
Thanks for your help Joel. Where would i be without you?

Liz, you should send a message to Kelly as her husband Andrew uses one and she can explain how it works.

Thank you Joel and Barry. I just emailed someone at the local chapter so i am waiting to hear back from her.
this is so exciting!
I will PM kelly right now.

I hope you will be able to get it and your PALS able to talk to his grandkids again and others. It is so heartbreaking reading your post.

Agree with Pepper, Liz. I hope the loan closet has one Ray can get. Very best wishes!

Does anyone know how to search for someone on here? im looking for Stu's profile but dont know how to find him. Id like to send him a message about this. Thanks to all!

Someone just advertised a wheelchair and Erica eye gaze computer in our Equipment for Sale section.

Liz,

Income has nothing to do with the help the ALSA gives. The loan closet is open to anyone on a first come/first serve basis.

If you go to FAQ then choose General Forum Use there are instructions there.

Liz,

I can explain how it works.

Attached to the bottom of the computer is an eye tracking device (uses reflections off your pupils). Selecting stuff does require a blink (the blink is the equivalent of clicking a mouse button). There is a custom piece of software that sits on top of the Windows environment that has lots of functionality (use TV remotes, spell words, even program your own phrases). If your PALS can't blink on demand, I don't know that you'll be able to use it. You should at least borrow one and give it a try though, if he can use it, it will open his world up.

Dick

Thank you guys so very much! Youre rocking my world as we speak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back