Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
wa
City
seattle
Hi. I lost my grandma 3 years ago to ALS:( I have been worried ever since about someone else in my family getting it. No one else has ever had it, but its just in the back of my mind. I have had twitching all over for a year and a half know, started when i had some really bad anxiety. For the last month I have had twitching in a couple spots on the left side of my tongue. It really freaks me out a lot. I have no weakness or problems eating. My tongue is not too bad and I saw my gp and a neuro who werent concerned. What do you all think? Also, I am worried constantly about my mom getting it. I made her let me look at her tongue tonight and she couldnt keep it still! It was like wiggling around even when she said she was relaxing it. Now I am totally freaked out and I am 7 months pregnant so this is horrible for me to be like this! :( I made her tent her cheeks with her tongue, I pressed pretty hard on both her cheeks and I couldnt move her tongue. She could also puff her cheeks up. She nor I have any problems eating or talking. We dont choke or anything. What do you guys think? Her tongue just freaked me out. I have been told that the weakness has to be first, not the twitching. So because she doesnt have any weakness should I really not be worried that her tongue moves all around during rest? And mine just does like a pulse twitch in a couple spots the size of a pencil eraser. I really apperciate any help/advice. My anxiety is getting the best of me and I cant get into the counselor for a week:(

My advice to you is to keep your mouth closed and stop worrying both yourself and your mom.

Put ALS out of your mind, you don't have it. Don't let your imagination run away.

If you have been twitching all over for a year and a half and you haven't noticed any weakness, then your twitching is not due to ALS. Your being "freaked out" is purely in your own head and is of your own doing, since you decided that your Internet research was more accurate than the advice of your doctor.

If you want to feel better, stay off the computer and direct your medical questions to your doctors. Obsessive Web surfing is no substitute for years of medical education and training.

Good luck.

I know that my twitching is probably due to anxiety, I am more concerned at this point with my mom. I was just hoping that someone could tell me if I should be worried. Her tongue is moving all the time, even when she says she is resting it. Its not twitching like jerking it just wiggles side to side and kind of jolty. Basically she cant keep it still. Its not dramatically moving but not still. Is there any way this is not als? Can it just be the way hers is? I know you guys probably get sick of the twitching questions and I dont blame you. I was just hoping someone could tell me if I can relax? If I shouldnt be worried about a constantly moving tongue? Would there be weakness first? She doesnt want to go to the doctor so I worry about her constantly. Ever since loosing my beloved grandma this is a real fear for me. Im sorry If I offended anyone.

A constantly moving tongue is not a symptom of ALS and also does not constitute twitching. The hallmark of ALS is weakness and you have shared with us that your mother has none. Please stop looking for signs and symptoms of something that doesn't exist . . . and definitely get off of the internet because it is taking to you a very dark place. Enjoy the children you are about to have and please tell your mother to do the same with her new grandchildren. If you don't stop this ALS-nonsense, neither you nor your mother will be able to do that. Let it go.

I agree with the others, that what you describe happening to you does not sound at all like ALS, or something you should be worrying about. It is ironic that is most likely worry which is bringing it on. Life can be unkind that way at times.

However, you say your mom's tongue is constantly in motion (with what could be described as a rolling wave perhaps?) You also noted that it does not stop for her, it is happening with her tongue at rest in her mouth. This just sounds like something she should see a doctor about. I am not saying I think she has ALS, but I am saying that it could be a manifestation of something that needs investigation.

Life is too short to let an opportunity to begin treatment at the outset, if, she in fact does have something that needs, and will respond to treatment.

I would love to have grandbabies to rock, and love, so, putting myself in her position, I can imagine how important your little boys are to her. Perhaps if you ask her to have it looked into because you feel the concern you have for her is robbing you both of the joy that you should have right now.

I am very sorry you lost your grandma to ALS. I was very close to mine (who died not of ALS, but of old age at about 98 years) and I miss her still. BUT, I also remember how special the time was back when my children were small, and I can tell you that you don't want to let anxiety issues rob you of making memories for all of you. When you look back, hopefully it won't be your concerns for your tongue and fears of ALS that stand out most for you.

Good luck to you. I hope you can convince your mom to get things checked out, and that everything turns out to be benign.

My tongue and body have been twitching over a year now.Don't stress your self out.I went that route and found out stress is very unhealthy...
Good luck.I'm sure you'll be fine.Stay off GOOGLE too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back