Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
ma
City
salem
very confused with these symptoms....

just some questions for you kind people who may or may not relate, but have at least some experience. here is my issue----

im 29 years old, generally good health (besides high cholesterol and controlled asthma, and severe anxiety). I'm 28 weeks pregnant with normal blood pressure, and so far a pretty good pregnancy.

Ive been getting wierd symptoms for 6-7 days now. It's tingling/vibrating sensation thru my hands, feet, legs and arms....and very occasionally thru the side of my head. i have no pain..... and no other issues....(no walking issues, no pain, no blurreed vision etc)... i went to my neurologist, who did the "point to ur nose/touch my fingers, etc examination" , checked my blood pressure, etc. she said i look perfect, has no idea whats causing the tingling sensations and said if anything gets worse to call her back, and did set up a follow up for 4 weeks (basically to make me feel better i guess, because she is not concerned.)

4-5 days ago-- i started getting random twitching of my muscles.. random-- my right eye, then my left leg, upper arm, etc. on and off all day for the past 4-5days
of course, the twitching started AFTER i saw my neuro.
again, there is no weakness, walking, breathing, or swallowing issues.

my neuro. did an mri of brain w/and without contrast 6 months ago witch was completely normal (when i was having panic attacks with physical anxiet symptoms so she just wanted to be sure all is clear with an mri) A cbc blood test was done 2 days ago, completely normal (accept for slight anemia probably pregnancy induced) .....also my thyroid was checked 6 months ago and perfectly fine.
If indeed i did have something serious...wouldnt something in blood work come back abnormal? such as high or low white cell counts or something?

my questions are --- from your experience do you see ALS? MAYBE MS OR BFS? as a possibilty ? or something worse? or is this just all stress induced? im very concerned and scared. noone has answers for me.

You can put ALS out of your mind. You are pregnant, wait until after you give birth, I bet things settle down then.

thank you for your response and nice to meet you! my OB doesn't think its pregnancy related.....neuro not sure what it is but doesnt seemed concerned. im sure the pregnancy hormones aren't helping anything though lol! im not trying to sound like a hypochondriac, im just scared.

when i was pregnant, my daughter liked to mess with me by some how pushing on my sciatic (sp) nerve. this caused tingling and numbing sensations. I dont see why it couldnt be the pregnancy. baby could be on a nerve somewhere.
i agree with Joel. wait til your no longer prego.
ALS symptoms do not come on all of a sudden and normally one area of the body is affected at a time.
also, everyone and i mean everyone twitches. most folks just dont notice it.
keep in mind that you do have anxiety issues, which as you know, can reak havoc on you in many many ways. if you are stressed or worrying yourself too much about the possibility of ALS, your anxiety could be taking over and making you twitch more, and notice it more.
im guessing you went on google and searched twitches? For some reason, Dr. Google always throws ALS out there when twitching is involved- but so you know, twitching isnt diagnostic of anything.
Good luck to you and please try to relax. The last thing you need is to be overly stressed while you are prego.

Put ALS out of your head. Sensory symptoms have nothing to do with ALS and everyone twitches just check out the BFS site and twitch away they are non-diagnostic anyway. Good Luck on the pregnancy and congrats! :)

thanks alot! im trying my best to enjoy this pregnancy, and was until these strange symptoms started popping up over the last week. (((i know that me being a hypochondriac, my anxiety and pregnancy hormones are not helping anything))))

I thought that twitching and tingles were either ALS or MS symptoms (or both)?

has anyone ever had twtching for a while...with no other symptoms and then developed ALS or another muscle wasting disorder?

Im sorry, im not trying to aggravate anyone just looking for some answers and reassurance i guess. also , i have been looking into the BFS websites, and am hoping thats what it is. Is BFS more common then other things like als?

sorry for all the questions and thanks again! :smile:

You are not listening. Everyone has twitching and not everyone gets one of those conditions. Twitching is not a diagnostic symptom of either.

naynaydevil.... BFS is much much much more common than ALS... Actually it is very common, just go to medhelp.org and do a search for twitching and you'll find a TON of people just like you and me who have TONS of twitches and don't have any neuromuscular disease... most of these people were terrified as well (same as me) but after seeing there's so many others like them they start to calm down... I've been twitching away for over a year now (I'm guessing due to some post viral syndrome), and like you I have something which really really sux, but it's not ALS...

In my opinion, which may mean nothing, but regardless, you sound like a classic case of BFS to me. I'm no expert whatsoever, but I do know that you have to many sensory issues going on to even be thinking in the ALS direction, and hanging out here and letting your anxiety build will only cause the twitching and sensory issues to persist and most likely intensify. If these things continue, do your best to join the AboutBFS.com forum. Sometimes it takes a while to get approved, but if you register and you have problems getting approved, then leave me a message on my page here, and I will get you on there. I go by mommylondon on that site, you can read all you want on that site without being a member, so go look up my post on there and you will see my symptoms sound very much like yours, along with soooo many others. You are on the wrong road, turn around and go back, trust me.

Robynn:grin:

thank you everyone for your kind understanding and advice , i feel better now...((welll i guess a hypochondriac never feels better but ...a little bit anywyas))) ;)

Congrats on your new baby on the way! Enjoy life.

Thanks Kelly, Imma goin':grin:

just a couple of questions----

what is muschle atrophy and what does is look like?

what is the difference between "perceived weekness" and "clinical weekness"

does PLS and ALS often get misdiagnosed between eachother or can PLS progress into ALS?

With my other symptoms ((constant twitching and sometimes tingling on and off thru out the day)) ...would a sore neck/upper back have anything to do with ALS symptoms?

Ms. Devil,

Please take advantage of our search engine to get multiple answers to these questions. They have been addressed time and again. A short answer to your questions...

Atrophy results from dennervation of the muscles. There are plenty of pictures of atrophy out there. If you have to ask, you prolly dont have it.

Perceived weakness is when ya think ya are weak and clinical weakness is that which is measured by your doctor and is rated numerically. Note only your doctor can say if you are clinically weakness. Dont do the silly home tests that all the OCD freaks come up with.

PLS and ALS are never misdiagnosed. PLS there is no dennervation and an absence of lower motor neuron death. PLS can progress to ALS but PLS is much rarer than ALS.

Lastly you DONT have either. Dont start down the crazy spiral of doom :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back