Learn about ALS
Country
XX
State
xxxxxx
City
xxxxx
Dear all,
i had an emg and ncs because of pain started 2 years ago and fasciculations starting 2 months ago. My doctor said that i Have bilateral cervical and bilateral lumbar radiculopathies.He ordered an MRI to see where are the locations of the pinched nerve.
My question is could als be misdiagnosed as radiculopathy?
I aked him about the twitching and he said is a common syptom of radiculopathy.But the thing is i have them on belly and face as well.But the truth is i had those after o notice and worries about twiching to be honest.So i dont know what to make of it.
Also what if someone both have radiculopathies and als?
Does anyone know what difference lead the neurologist to believe its not als but radiculopathy?
also i noticed mouth paresthesia like buzzing or tingling in mouth and tongue?does this has anything to do with als or are this is how tongue fasciculations feel like?

Thank you

Last edited:
It would be more common to have a diagnosed of ALS turn out to be a radiculopathy than the other way around, but it occasionally happens. Your dr must have had evidence of some sort to have reached the diagnosed or he has his suspicions and thus has ordered an MRI. Fasciculations can most definitely by caused by disc issues.just trust your dr and be happy he does not think you havoc it.
Aly

well i think he suspected disk herniation from the clinical exam thats what he wrote to the mri referal "clinical + emg findings of cervical and lumbar bilateral radiculopathies''.the truth is that he is Chief of Neurology in a very goo hospital...but still i dont know...ill wait for the mri ...I have an appointment in 4 months to discuss treatment as for know he gave me pour pain killers and suggested physical therapy...But im not sure ...maybe he made i mistake...i hope not
thank you for your answer
do you happen to know if mouth fasciculations feel like that(buzzing tingling of tongue)
thanks

Since it's the chief of neurology saying the case is one of radiculopathy, I'd believe and trust him. Who knows, perhaps he can find the source of the problem and fix it!

Isn't that much more comforting than if he would have said he suspected ALS. If he hasn't brought ALS into the picture, it's because he doesn't see it. Very good news!

I'd take comfort that at this point, he isn't looking in the direction of ALS but suspects something far, far different.

Radioculpathy is a disorder of the nerve root hence the latin reference. ALS is a disease of the motor neurons. Very different and yes even a goober of a neurologist can tell the difference when doing the emg. If the chief of neurology says radioculpathy I second that motion.

Thanks for the replys....I read somewhere that the presentation of radiculopathies in an EMG is very similar and can often be confused with early ALS...So that got me a little worried as i have to wait 4 months for the upcoming neuro appointment...

Update!i noticed fasciculations in the left hand in the place where i posted pictures where i had atrophy.....i dont know if it was random or not but the truth is im terrified once again!the doctor didnt test that arm he just tested the other limbs...i havent told him about my atrophy...no perceivable weakness yet...this forum is the only thing i can turn to...i think is hould visit another neurologist and ask for emg on that hand...i dont really know what to do...i cling to this forum as it seems the only think i can do right now.....
Thank you all for being patient and supportive..it means a lot to me...

Ally, you can get fasciculations and atrophy from radiculopathies , so don't let yourself get all terrified again! Take a deep breath. Feeling for you

Aly

Ally, you can get fasciculations and atrophy from radiculopathies , so don't let yourself get all terrified again! Take a deep breath. Feeling for you
Thanks Alyoop
i appreciate that you take time to ease my worries...I dont know it just seems that everytime im thinking im ok something happens to prove me otherwise...Have you seen the pictures in my hand?Well at the point where i believe i have atrophy i noticed fasciculations. Also i read that ALS fasciculations can be induced when you poke the atrophied muscle.
I did that and twice (of the times) IT STARTED FASCICULATING...i DONT KNOW WHAT TO MAKE OF IT IT SEEMS THE PIECES ALL FIT....

You mentioned pain .... That points to radiculopathy. You do not get pain in ALS. For your neurologist to not be considering ALS it means you do not have it. Your ncs probably pointed towards radiculopathy as well . Ncs are normal in mnd. You need to stop worrying as it is making you ill.

Try and trust your doctor. I have an aunt with terrible atrophy of her thumb. She can't use it at all and she does not have ALS. Put it out of your mind. I know it's easy to say but you are damageing yourself more with your anxiety than your twitches and atrophy.

Just cause it twitched when you poked it means nothing. I have just had 6 months of thumb twitching that went away overnight. It meant nothing and I ignored it. I do not have ALS but pls and it still did not worry me so calm down!

Aly

Hi Ally,

Having a cervical radiculopathy, it would make since that your arms are having problems. The cervical spine correlates to your arms and neck region while the lumbar radiculopathy will affect your butt to your feet.

Radiculopathies cause pain, numbness, and weakness and they can also affect the reflexes as well causing them to be hyper or hypo.

Try to stay calm..I know its hard but it seems like you had a thorough exam from a great neuro. I would be happy if I were you with the diagnosis. It doesnt often go that well for others. Just enjoy life it only happens one day at a time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back