View Single Post
Old 01-05-2004, 06:03 PM #4 (permalink)

JOY is an unknown quantity at this point
JOY is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Debbie

I am so sorry for you and your family when we loose a loved one to this dreadful disease it is so bitter sweet. Knowing that your mom no longer suffers from the indignity that als can carry with it is solace, but loosing someone when we are all so hopeful for a cure to come for us is bitter.
When my brother passed away it left me so angry that so many people have to suffer with this disease that I after a period of grieving decided to help out and continue the battle my brother lost by helping at our local level at the als society. While this does not bring back our loved ones we know we are at least continuing to fight this disease. You will meet other family members who are also continuing to battle after they have lost thier loved ones. It does bring some peace of mind knowing you are doing something as you grieve.

But like Cathy says be gentle on yourself remember your mother in happier days when she used to be able to cuddle you and shelter you as a child, she now has greater power to protect you, talk to her often and be quiet and feel her presence. My brother passed away in my arms with his last breath against my cheek as I craddled him I try to think of him laughing and teasing and just being him in his glory days. Thats how I believe he is now free to fly and no longer a prisoner in his body. Take care and continue to let us know how you are doing. Joy