Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
WA
City
Lake Stevens
I went grocery shopping yesterday and was bringing in my first trip with them into the house via our garage and I tripped on a extension cord that was laying in my path and down I went. I was headed for two steps with both arms loaded and all I could do is reach out my right arm to break my fall and not hit my face. I was hurt, shaken and wanted to cry but instead I got up and went and got my neighbor lady who was gracious to come over and bring in all my groceries for me. Needless to say I asked my husband to make sure there is a clear path for me since I do not pick my feet up high enough any more and I ned to be more careful. Darn it!

Unfortunately this has happened to many of us as were adjust to the changes in our bodies. I'm glad you didn't get hurt badly, although I imagine the groceries made a mess on the floor. It took me at least 4 falls and a trip to the ER before I really started to recognize and learn what my abilities, or lack of, are.

Be careful.

Jim

Rox, I'm so sorry. I remember... It is probably time to get a rollator if you don't yet have one. Mine had a basket in front for carrying things as well as a seat. Please don't wait too long. It stinks, doesn't it. Hugs.
Ann

It took a really bad fall for my husband to realize that he needed a walker. Don't wait.

Rox so sorry to hear about this. It's important we all recognize our limitations and what we are capable of. Like so many other things I realize that is easier said then done! Hang in there and stay strong!

Needless to say from the above posts, we're had ALS longer than you. I remember vaguely bringing groceries into the house. Believe it or not, I would LOVE to drive to the store and bring in my own groceries again. Any day. Even evening. I have to wait for someone to take me now and it won't be any time before I won't even be able to go with somebody. Well that's enuf. My last real walk outside was last winter. I used a cane and negotiated the slick spots but fell anyway when the 10-lb dog pulled on his leash. Went right into a showdrift but I couldn't get up. Well, it took a long time and the snowdrift had an imprint of my head for a long time. Keep doing things as long as you can. Just be careful. I didn't really understand that statement until I had had the disease for at least 2 yrs. Then independence finally got bested by safety. I just didn't want to end up with a bad injury in addition to a fatal disease.

good luck,
Carol
b

So sorry about your fall. Horrible experience. I wish I could say there won't be any more....mind yourself.

very sorry to hear that you fell. im glad you were not injured. like the others have said, as hard as it may be to give up this independance, for your safety, it may be time. im reluctant to post this, as i dont want to scare anyone, but its a reality, so here it goes- a lady i met on a different support forum had a husband with ALS. He was fairly newly diagnosed. Still able to walk. He was out in the yard attempting to do some yard work, when he fell. he couldnt lift his arms up to break his fall. he hit his head and broke his neck. he passed away that night.
so again- i dont mean to scare anyone, but when it comes to safety, youve got to be careful.
take care and i hope this doesnt happen again.

Yup what they all say, time for the walker, but be careful as that won't guarantee you'll never fall again.

Thank you to all who have replied. Lots of good suggestions and I do not want to get hurt badly either. I am quite bruised and well just say I was supposed to have a mammo on monday and i rescheduled it do to bruising.

blessings to all

DEAR Rox, Get the walker, the chair, everything you can in advance of wht you think will be your need. AND USE THEM. You are achieving nothing positive by trying to be independent, mpaybe will injure yourself even worse.
Look on it as cossetting yourself, giving those muscles a rest.....
Hope the Mammo (ouch) goes well/ Make things as easy as poss for yourself. No point in fighting against your own body
Love
IRismarie

thanks IrisMarie i decided to put off that appt. for awhile. Rox

I had to realize that just because I still didn't walk didn't mean I should. I had to learn that the walking aids are to keep me from falling, not because I couldn't walk. It took me several falls. I still try to walk short distances in my house, but only when I can hold on to something. I never leave home without at least the walker, and usually the wheelchair. I haven't learned any of this graciously.

I am sorry to hear of your fall, Rox. Get the walker!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back