Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
We are looking for a wheelchair accessible van. We're having trouble finding anything new or used/new conversion for under $45,000. In our area, the dealer is United Access. Does anyone have any other suggestions? My husband is a veteran, so it is important that we stay within the VA guidelines - new van/new conversion or used van/new conversion.

Missy, We got a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. You use the $11,000 towards the van, before conversion, so blue book on the van alone was $13,000 total cost with conversion $45,000, VA pays for the new conversion, Hence, we paid $2,000 out of pocket for the van. $11,000 VA grant, plus our $2,000, and the VA paid all the rest!

That's what I thought. We were told that the VA will only pay $23,000 towards new conversion. That plus the $11,000 adds up to 34,000. I'll call Bill @ United Access tomorrow! Is that who you went through?

They are not telling you the truth Missy. They will spend up to $70,000 or more to adapt the Van, if it needs to be adapted to some one who is a Quadraplegic. We bought our Van from Nor Cal Mobility in Chico CA. WHO told you this info, the VA or the dealership?

Dealerships are money hungry right now. Let the buyer beware.

AL.

So what are the alternatives?

Hello,
I live in Toronto and I was looking for a handicap van.
I need to know how much they cost for rental and where I can find them.
Can anyone please help me.

I used Rollx vans to get my handicapped van last summer. They converted it for $14,000 but that can be deducted from taxes. The van cost $25,000 altogether and I pay for it monthly. What the heck, I use it to get to the grocery store, restaurants, doctors and on long trips. You can find Rollx on the internet. They hired an old geezer to drive the van from Minneapolis to Maryland where I live now. It has taken 5 or 6 trips for the Braun expert to come here and get the ez lock to work. But now it does and everything except my broken body is hunky dory.
Good luck. It's hard to do like everything else.

The ALSA in our area puts out a monthly newsletter with a classified section - it usually has 3 to 5 vehicles listed. Check with your ALSA - they may know of someone looking to sell theirs.....

Also check with MDA - ALS Division in your area. They keep list of folks who need vans and can contact you when they hear about vans for sale. This is how I sold our van after Dave died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back