Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
TN
City
Jackson
The past few days my mother is feeling weaker and weaker. We have tried to encourage her to use the bipap machine but she said it bothers her sinus and she does not like it. She said she does not have trouble breathing and that she does not think that is what is causing her weakness.

I have done some searching but I am looking for words of encouragement I can show her that would show her that this could make her feel better. Does anyone have anything they can share with me regarding this.

Does it have a humidifier on it? She could be getting dried out. If she does have humidifier, is the water being changed regularly? (no offense) My husband will go days without using his and then decide to use it and the water will have gunked up and smell bad. That can affect your sinuses.

The BiPap really does give my husband more energy, but he usually takes it off after several hours. If he goes days without using it, he suffers.

Do you know what her FVC is?

I honestly don't know how anyone who needs a bipap can be comfortable NOT using it! Yes, it gives me energy, better than anything else can. I use it at night (all night, can't breathe flat without it) but also, for a nap in the afternoon, I put the foot of my bed way up, so my knees are above my heart, put the mask on, and I'm out like a light. Days I don't do this, I can tell the difference.

Like CJ said, check the humidifier, make sure its turned up high enough, and that the water is fresh, and is distilled, not tap water, as this is drying. Also, perhaps her settings for how hard the machine is blowing needs to be adjusted down. At first, mine were too high, and it bothered my nose tremendously.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your input. One of my sisters and showed her these and some other things regarding the bipap and she did try this afternoon for about an hour. She did say that after that she has been dizzy off and on. I did read that is a common side effect for that. Any advice on how to help with that? Does she just need to maybe not use as long at first?

NHAMM,

I don't know about the dizziness. It does make me wonder if maybe her settings need to be adjusted (dizziness combined with how she said it can bother her nose) It does take a bit of tweaking for most people to find their happy place with it. You might want to ask the RT who set her up with it.

You may get more success having people read and answer your posts, if you ask questions such as this over on the general discussion forum, or even the PALS one. Some PALS who don't have bulbar involvement still use BiPAP. Even though I'm a Bulbarian, I don't always check down this far on my computer screen to see if there is a new post, especially when using a netbook, I have to scroll down to see the PBP forum. Its just not as active as the others I mentioned.

Good luck!

My hubby has never had a humidifier on his Bipap and doesn't get dried out. Here in the northeast our air is probably humid most of the summertime though. In the winter we use a woodstove for heat and have a humidifier on for the air in the rooms. If she says she doesn't have difficulty breathing she doesn't need it anyway I would think. I wonder too if people are washing the mask and hose too much. We sound like pigs, but we don't wash them more than maybe 3 times a year. He never gets sore or has a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back