Diagnosis
06/2009
Country
US
State
OH
City
Findlay
My husband was diagnosed exactly one year ago today (just realized it was that date today). About 6 months ago, he developed a chronic dry cough. He does not have excess saliva or difficulties with breathing or swallowing. We thought it was a drug reaction related to a clinical study, but removal from the drug hasn't stopped the coughing. Is this a common symptom of ALS? I've heard about needing assistance to cough, but he certainly doesn't need that! His coughs are violent and nearly constant - - so bothersome!

I'm sorry your hubby is having this. I don't know of anyone who has complained of it. And, because of this, it may be something you want to pursue in hopes of finding the cause. Its bound to wear him out coughing like that, and that's not good for PALS.

Please let us know if you find a cause, and welcome to the forum.

Does he feel like there is something caught he can't get out that causes a little tickle? That's what happens to me. I'm convinced that it's caused by small spasms. I was put on Lortab which is hydrocodone for pain and immediately it was gone. I still cough but now it's because I need to.

sometimes i get what i believe is post nasal drip and am coughing pretty bad myself and i swear that it is something doctors don't know about because it comes in waves and so much mucus comes out and then i breath better .... , but not for 6 months straight .... have been on antibiotics and prednisone clear up but after a week or 10 days back on prednisone . it maybe a pill he is taking i did well on thyroid pills for a month or so the coughing started again .. i went away for a week end and forgot them and felt better , didn't last very long a few weeks later i forgot to take it and in the middle of the day i realized i was feeling good , that's how i found out it was the thyroid meds and i have tried everyone of them can do ok at first then it starts again . of course i didn't take them for a month or so before trying the new one ... my husband had same problem on his blood pressure meds but that only took about three months to figure out . my thyroid took almost 8 years to figure out ... so check any other meds he may be on wishing you the best

I went through a dry cough phase, and it was the tickle cough archer is talking about, and mine would escalate into choking, and gasping for air. It doesn't happen much now.

A certain class of blood pressure medicines called ACE inhibitors can also cause a "dry tickle" cough. The one I've taken are lisinopril and benazepril. They are commonly prescribed to protect the kidneys from damage from conditions such as hypertension and diabetes.

I've never found the ACE inhibitor cough to be particularly distressing, but merely mild and annoying. As my BiPAP pressures rise, however, the annoyance factor is getting higher, especially when I need or want to use a full-face mask with the BiPAP.

Hope this helps.

I too get the tickle dry cough. If I try to ignore it, it gets more intense.

I have found that a carbonated drink will make it subside. Gingerale being the best.

Glen

Hello.. My dad has a chronic cough as well.. sometimes dry, sometime not... but cannot always get the flem up.. his pulmonary doctor refered him to a GI doctor.. they did a endoscopy and found he has esphogitis which could cause the coughing... he was put on a maintance antiacid med... and an antibiotic for the infection. Unfortunately it does not seem to be calming the cough at this time.. he just finished his antibiotics a few days ago... sometimes improvement is still to come a few days after you finish antibiotics. He too suffers from dry mouth.. there are dry mouth products to help with this over the counter.. but his neroligist stated if he needed something stronger there is a perscription for this... but at this time we did not want to try that afraid that he may begin to have excessive salivia and begin to choke on it... but that is still an opition later. My dads couging is not only annoying for him.. but it also cause him to loose his breath.. he is using a bi-pap... frequently .. his contition has really been hitting his respritory system hard in the past few months.

He does not have excess saliva or difficulties with breathing or swallowing. We thought it was a drug reaction related to a clinical study, but removal from the drug hasn't stopped

it could still be one of the other meds he is taken i am able to take some pills for a while before ( what ever it is that bothers me ) builds up in my system it dont always show up right away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back