Diagnosis
07/2010
Country
US
State
Wisconsin
City
Menomonie
New to the forum............ Symptoms began 2004. Diagnosed probable in 2007 most likely in 2008. Treated aggresively since 2007 for Lyme Disease. No improvement but slow and constant progression. If PLS is not fatal what is the most common cause of death? Also, where can I get good info on speech assistive devices? Are there excercises that slow progression in loss of speech and swallowing?
Thanks! Happy Sunday!

Nana Suzy,

From what my doctor told me - the most common cause is from complications related to injuries sustained from falls. Add osteoporosis to someone who falls because of PLS and you have a disaster waiting to happen. I have had 3 major fractures and 2 lesser ones and am now nursing a fractured coccyx. Trying to avoid breaking my neck for a while.

Welcome to the forum, Nana!

Northern Dancer

I would also think that things like obesity or type 2 diabetes would be a factor in contirbuting to the demise of someone with PLS, that is if they have those diseases. If a person is wheelchair bound...they are very suseptable to gaining weight if they are not careful and watching their diets closely, can have complications from obesity or diabetes that can kill them. But I do agree with ND about falling would be the more dangerous of producing death. I have fallen down flights of stairs (when I could still walk them slowly). I was glad they were carpeted so nothing broke...but I did mess up my foot and wrist and am very lucky that my head missed the wall at the bottom of the stairs.

Welcome to the forum Nana!
I am new here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back