Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
New York
City
Fishkill
Mom is having unbelievable jaw pain. I took her to the dr's yesterday and he said it is her TMJ. Because of the way she sits with her head on her hand. He gave her tylenol with codine which does not help at all. She is on coumadin for a blood clotting disorder that she also has so I am limited to drugs I can give her. Even so, I did give her some advil and I will stop her coumadin for a few days. She says she has never had pain like this before. I just don't know what to do. I have done heat, ice, biofreeze which is a gel rubbed on her jaw. I tried natural aniinflamatories...nothing. I am just sick over this. I wish I could take her pain away. Any ideas anyone?

I don't know what meds she is suposed to avoid, but muscle relaxers will help the most.

What is a trigger point injection? She is not supposed to have anti-imflams but I am giving her advil right now and will call her dr to get a script for them. Thanks. She is not any better and she never ever cries and this am she was crying cause she was in so much pain...it is hurting me so much. She is getting botox injections in 2 weeks to help with the excess saliva so maybe some in her jaw too? I don't know anymore.

Laura,

A long time ago I was diagnosed with TMJ. I had so much pain in my jaw and it radiated up to my eye. I would have nightmares that my head was in a vice. I finally went to a Rheumatologist and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and MPS (myofascial pain syndrome). I ended up being referred to a pain clinic. When the pain got really bad they would give me injections of lidocaine just below my jaw in the neck. Instant relief!

I don't know if it would help your Mom but maybe you could bring it up to the doctor. Hope you find a solution!

I have TMJ as well. The ONLY thing that helps me when the pain gets bad is flexeril. (muscle relaxer) Now there are a lot of those muscle relaxers out there, but this seems to be the only one that helps me. If I take a whole 10mg one, I will be asleep all day, so literally I cut in in half, and then bite of half of a half and then the pain goes away. One other thing I have come across too though is that when my jaw is acting up a lot, it turns out I have a sinus infection. Then the antibiotics help in the long run. (but take the flexeril in the mean time) It comes in generic - cyclobezaprine. Hope the doctor is open on Saturdays! So so sorry she has to suffer until she gets the right med!
Hugs, Kari

Did they do a Cardiac Assessment on her? That is sometimes how women present with Cardiac pain. Oh, I hope that she is better now! gentle hugs to both of you.

Yes, I thought about that too and should have mentioned it. Jaw pain, especially if it radiates down the arm is a warning of impending heart attack. So, just in case if the doc didnt check out the heart, I wouldnt take her off the coumidin just yet. If you still feel like you have to take her off of it for a few days, make sure she gets some asprin.
Hugs, Kari

Laura I would ask the doctor about a muscle relaxant, and try some nice warm towels. Be real careful about taking her off the coumadin and giving her advil-- let the doctor know about this. I think the Botox will likely help the situation. Can you get that appointment bumped up by calling and telling them what is going on? I hope she gets relief soon.
Laurel

If Botox actually helps TMJ pain, I would be all over that! Is it suppose to help TMJ too?

Yep it seems to be a common treatment for TMJ now with reported good relief.
Laurel

Hey, that's GREAT! I wonder if Medicare would cover that?!

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier......... but I am a dentist and I've treated this before. Disclaimer: I am not licensed in NY, just in Florida so below is just my thoughts, and you should check with her dentist.

I wouldn't stop the coumadin unless her doctor approves of the idea. I've never found any problem in taking Coumadin and Advil (generic name is Ibuprophen) at the same time as Advil really doesn't thin the blood much, if at all. But that's her physician's call. They may want to check her coumadin level.

Ask her physician if he/she could prescribe a mild pain reliever such as hydrocodone for immediate relief.

Brooksea is absolutely right, a lidocaine injection would instantly help. But if a dentist isn't immediately available to do that, then look into getting a night guard for her to wear. A night guard will allow her to rest with her jaw a slight bit open, which puts the TMJ (the joint area) into a comfortable rest position. If we're correct in assuming she has myofascial pain, then a night guard will help. She could wear it most of the day until she feels better. She can then cut back the amount of time she wears it until she finds a comfortable level.

And yes, muscle relaxers may help, but they won't work in the long term.

A dentist can make a mouth guard for her, but it will take time..... so how about seeing if she gets relief from a sports-type mouth guard? They're sold at Wal-mart for about $.99 and might help until a custom mouth guard can be fabricated. You'll need to trim it to fit her mouth. If that doesn't work to relieve the pain, then have her quit using the OTC night guard and see what her dentist says.

Hope this helps. I hope she's feeling better real soon.

I had horribly painful TMJ issues once. My chiropractor took care of it in no time. Like, minutes. She used her hand and fingers (gloved, of course). I went home, iced it for a few minutes every 30 minutes that evening and was done with it.

First thing that you can do on your own is the trigger point release. Get gloves on, go inside her mouth and find a tight spot in her massetter muscle. see this link YouTube- Masseter Trigger Points - 128k - Cached which can guide you thru the process. Good luck,erica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back