Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
US
State
FL
City
SUNNY ISLES BEACH
For breakfast I have pureed 1 mini pancake, 2 fried eggs with sour cream, milk and maple syrup. During the day I have 5 cans of Jevity 1.5 cal.
I have to take Milk of Magnesia every third night to achieve a proper bowl movement. Does anyone have a similar problem and what's yor solution?

My mother is entirely peg-fed and she manages her constipation by having a sachet of a pharmacy product called Movicol mixed into her water each day. You have to be careful not to overdo this kind of product. Right now we are experimenting with only using half a sachet on every alternate day (and a full sachet on the other days) as things got a bit too "loose" if you KWIM.

You could also add some fibre into your breakfast - some pureed fruit. or switch to whole wheat pancakes. One good "recipe" for getting the bowels moving is to buy some mixed dried fruit (peaches, prunes, apples, apricots, raisins etc) and simmer them with a little water, then puree. A few spoonfulls of this each day, perhaps mixed with yogurt, is delicious and keeps things regular.

I believe there are also some high-fibre peg feed products - check with your supplier. Finally, water and more water - drink at least 6 cups a day in addition to your peg formula.

sesl

Mirralax once a day. Best thing out there, and generic is available now. Don't waste your money on all the other stuff..

Prune juice in my peg every other day =0

If you are on any pain meds, ask your doctor for Amitiza. Its a the only thing that has worked for me due to the constipation that comes with opioids.

My mother has the same problem if she doesn't add an OTC pharmacy product to one of her water flushes each day. She is entirely peg fed. The product she uses is called Movicol; don't know if you have that one where you live.

You could add some fibre into that one meal you're having each day - at the moment your breakfast completely lacks fibre. Have some pureed apple, or mixed dried fruit, simmered in a little water and then pureed (eat with yogurt - it's delicious!).

Make sure you're having at least 6 cups of water each day either by mouth or through your peg. Your poop can't flush through you if you're not well hydrated.

There are also some high fibre peg foods - ask your supplier to recommend one.

sesl

I take Milk of Magnesia every second day. It is gentle and works well.
I have tried other things but they did not work.

Sorry, I posted pretty much the same response twice - couldn't see my first post (after 24 hours) so I thought I must have dreamed responding, and did it again. now both are there.

sesl

Have the same problem...tried Amitiza and it worked for a while...but now, doesn't. Doctor at Mayo told me to use Milk of Magnesia, everyday if I needed it. The Jevity makes me that way too. And, I don't take in enough liquid. That is my major problem! I am getting to where I am using the PEG more and more. If I try to drink my sweet tea(Southerners just have to have it) I get strangled on it! I am still trying, but not getting anywhere fast!

chefdeborah

Gosh....this thread really brought back memories. Mom had a terrible time with constipation once she went to total peg feeding. Mirrolax was the medication of choice for a while. Then, as the pain medication increased, so did the constipation issues. I will tell you this: toward the end, nothing really worked. Hospice did enemas, the Amitiza, and other medication like the liquid you get to clean you out before surgery. On the day she passed, after morphine - every hour, on the hour-throughout the night....a couple of hours before she passed, her body released the contents of her bowels. In our sadness we found something to chuckle about....it was the best bowel movement she had had in months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back