Diagnosis
03/2010
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Bryan
Hello! My mother was just diagnosed with ALS March 5th. She's had some odd sensations in her feet today and was wondering if anyone had any advice or insight to offer. She said it felt like her skin on the top of her feet was hardening and almost like she had bricks between her toes. She's had some really bad swelling in her feet but that's actually gone down the past few days (doctor's don't know what's causing the swelling but think it's due to immobility).

Hope this makes sense. We're obviously just starting to learn about ALS and I've always found forums to be extremely helpful when learning something new.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Taminator, it really helps to raise the feet and legs. TEDS stockings help some, but raising them, and if they're cold, wrap a heating pad around them. The muscles atrophy and no longer are able to pump blood back up from the feet, causing the blood to "pool" in her feet. This all of course, is in the case of ALS causing feet to quit moving. If she's immobile, I'm presuming she doesn't walk "naturally".

My feet went first, and I do have off and on odd sensations. I mostly feel like I have tightly laced boots on my feet, at times when they're totally unbound, as in bed with a blanket rack keeping the covers from laying on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back