Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
FR
State
tarn et garonne
City
valeilles
OK, this is mainly for Barry who I know uses this method but hoping it can help many-I have downloaded Nextup Talker - brilliant - and I have bought a netbook to run it on and chosen voices etc. But how do you carry this around? How do you hold it when talking? How deal with it in a supermarket queue? How deal with daylight so you cannot see the screen? I am of course in a wchair and thought mabe strap it round my neck but thinki that might get heavy. So PRACTICALLY how do you manage it, please? Excuse me for taking advantyage of your experience......
Love to all

Irismarie,

You have hit on the one thing that I too have struggled with. Unfortunately I don't really have an answer and if I am using my netbook I have to be seated with it in my lap or on a table. This works at home if I want to talk with my family, I just sit in my recliner and I have a large clipboard that I set the netbook on. The clipboard (I have removed the clip assembly) is big enough that it sits comfortably on my legs and is large enough for my mouse.

I don't know how it would work on your lap on your wheelchair, I imagine it wouldn't be very stable or secure. Does your chair have a tray attached? If it does you could attach the netbook to the tray with some heavy duty velcro which would hold it fine. Just don't plug up any vents underneath. I am in the process of getting a loaner pwc and I hope that I will be able stick my netbook to it somehow, I will let you know about that, I will have to put my inventor hat on.

You are right, it is too heavy to hang around your neck although I have thought about it. I have a friend who told me about some kind of tray thing that you wear and you have a tray in front of you but I haven't found anything like that and I don't know a person would type on the netbook with it so close anyway (to say nothing about lap puppies getting in the way!:shock:)

Of course these problems are why I also have an IPod which I can put into my pocket. It is ok because it is very portable but it does require at least one steady hand to type on the small touchpad and I cannot be as fast as on my netbook.

I have used my netbook in the sun and haven't had a problem reading the screen but I am more of a shady kind of guy anyway, if you want to find me on a beach look for the umbrella or shady tree.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, I will let you know if I have any brainwaves.

Barry

As far as using a notebook or netbook on your wheelchair, I put a pillow on my lap and a piece of plexiglass on top of that. This provides a solid/stable surface to put a computer on. Works great!

Also, adding larger rubber feet to the bottom of the computer will also help stabilize the computer on whatever surface you choose to use it on.

THank you, guys. The voice wasnt such a bad invention, after all, was it. No need to balance it on anything, works in all weathers, makes music ..........ah well, it cannot communicate alone with someone the other side of the world.
Love you all. and thankjs again

I have now been using my new NetBook with Dasher to type and NextUp to talk for a week. Since it is a full fleged computer I have used it exclusively. It works remarkably well. The only other thing was an external speaker as the built in ones are not adequate. All of this for under $500.00 taxes and shipping included. This is exactly what Barry recommend and it is fantastic.

Since I am in a wheelchair full time it sits on top of a pillow with plexiglass surface on my lap.

I also use a device called "Swifty" which allows the use of large buttons for left and right mouse clicking. Then I downloaded a free program that uses the webcam as mouse.

Sure beats the expensive products and the speech voice is very good and clear!
Thank you Barry!

Way to go Joel, you are very welcome. I'm so glad it works for you too! The netbook is pretty much all I have used for the internet and as my main talker for the past year so I am glad that my experience helped you out. Keep on talking! :-D:-D

this nextup is CLEVER!
As I speak both French and English all the time I needed to down load the French voice too.
Would you know, she not only speaks French but if I write in English she speaks it with a super sexy French accent:)

Seriously, how clever is that that the "voice" speaks and reads in its own language, so all i have to do is click to change the voice!Bravo, nextup designers!
STILL not got a good small speaker sorted. Any advances ?
Best wishes to all

I have two of these speakers. I bought them for sound quality.

X-Mini II Capsule Speaker

They sound great . I use them on my ipod and my netbook. I bought a 6 foot extension cable that I can wear around my neck in the chair. When (IF) I ever get my new chair, I will velcro them them to the chair.

Glen

I also use the X-Mini 2 and it consistently amazes my audience.

I figured if I had to lose my own voice, I might as well sound cool, and so I bought Audrey. Now I sound like a cultured British lady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back