Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lafayette Hill
We are half way thru our bathroom remodel- "fun"!

Want to plan for when Jim will need a "wheelchair shower/commode chair" and wondering what type/brand everyone is using. Have seen many online that run from budget to high-end.

What I need to know: Is one better than another, as far as manuevering? (especially when it will be me that does the moving/pushing)
I'd like to check the height of the arms so we can be sure the chair will clear the sink.

We have the ADA requirements for sink height, but will have an "apron" around the countertop & want to be sure the chair fits under it. We can hang the sink at whatever height we want, and need to determine that.

Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts!

I use the Aquatec Ocean. Same manufacturer as Joel's but different model. Mine was provided by ALS Ont. loan closet.

AL.

Last edited:
We use the tub shower slide chair by rd equipment. I bought it used through classified in our ALSA newsletter for 20% of what it costs new. It's pretty sturdy. I got it with
the intention of not having to remodel the shower, but our old shower had built in seats and the piece the chair slides on to would not fit in the stall (the commode was in the way). Anyway, it's working well for us. Check your ALSA for used equipment for sale - you can get quite a bargain. I did install a roll-in shower myself (not bad for a girl :eek:)...

Thanks for asking this question Mare; we're also trying to decide what kind to get. We renovated in the fall to make our first floor powder room into an accessible bathroom with roll-in shower but now I need a way to roll in! And thanks all for the suggestions. Related question: how much room do you need to turn that reclining chair around? Can you un-recline it while you're sitting in it? Our shower area is long but not real wide so I want to be sure we can make the turn to get in and out of there. For now I can still sit upright but I know I need to plan for the future so it seems like a reclining chair with a head rest is the best choice. Any thoughts appreciated.

Just goes to show, I don't know what I don't know!
Apparently, what I call "high-end" is budget for Al & Joel. LOL
I was thinking a couple hundred not a couple thousand!

Guess I'll do budget for now, and go for the loan closet when needed. (hope our closet has the "cadillac" version like you guys!) One thing though, I did learn that I don't have to worry about arm height since it is adjustable & arms also fold/lift up. But then what do you expect- this is REALLY HIGH-END!

Still open to other suggestions. Anyone use/have a "Shower Buddy"?

Marianne, definitely check the loan closet! That's where we got ours from, same as Joel's and it has worked out nicely. We also use it for toileting and you can adjust the height and also flip the arms back if need be.

Ashley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back