Ever wonder why I'm a skeptic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Al! It pays to be a skeptic these days.

When my daughter was in the market for her bulldog, she nearly got scammed over the web but phoned me first to get my thoughts on the deal. Can't remember the sordid details but my red flag went up in a hurry. Turned out to be a bogus puppy mill.

So since we are on the subject of Facebook, what's with random and completely unknown to me people sending me friend requests? A while after I signed onto fb I got a friend request from a young woman that I had never heard of but she went to the University of Calgary where I went so I said sure and clicked to confirm her as a new "friend".

And today I got another friend request from another attractive young woman and this time I have absolutely no clue if I have any connection to her at all. I said OK to her too (I am a sucker for a pretty girl :wink::wink:) just to see if I could figure out if I knew her or if I knew any of her "friends". Nothing, so all I know is that she has a pretty face and we are now friends.

I am trying to figure this out and have decided that she is either lonely, desperate for friends, trying to look more popular by having lots of friends, going for some kind of fb record, looking to run some kind of scam, or all of the above.

Or maybe she is not an attractive young woman at all but some kind of cyber voyeur living in his parent's basement. If so he is looking in the wrong place for anything racy cause I aint got anything!

Anyone else run across this and what did you do?

Yeah, I get that, too ... people I've never heard of. Occasionally I click OK thinking there must be some connection, but like you, it turns out they are out of the blue.

I get "requests" for friend requests from fb itself ... "so-and-so went to XX college, too, do you want to be friends ... if so, send a friend request." I figure that's the source. I think people do like to tally up totals, whether they know people or not.

You rock, Al! We're lucky to have you.

Beth and Barry, I always send them a message asking where I would know them from first.Beth, howcome you're not my friend?

I'm not? I don't do fb much. Seems more work than regular e-mail, and I don't check in unless I get a notice. But let's be fb friends!

this same thing happen to my dad, but they hacked his email and sent out a mass email to everyone. that said the same thing about england, mugging and what not

I'm on fb. I have a first cousin on it that has over a thousand (or 2) friends. The guy is a real bozo and it makes me wonder. I reluctantly befriended him because, well, he's a first cousin. He's a bozo (and a jerk) because he neglects his mother (my dearly departed mom's sister).

That's all I have to say about that...

Zaphoon
(friend to bozos)

I've recently had a couple of random people "friend" me on FB too. One I saw was friends of 2 people from here that I interact with, so I figured he was cool, but another, totally random chic from CA that was "looking for moms" for mutual support...And then ANOTHER I have NO idea who she is-that one I just ignored.

It's been nice getting the FB friends added that I've made from here. This will probably sound silly, but it helps me integrate my husband's diagnosis and our life changes into my world "oh so gently"...well-it works for me!
Have a lovely day all!
Peace,

I love to make friends from the Forum on Facebook, but always get some weirdos with pictures that look like models who I know I have never met. Had one asking for private info, phone # etc. Took them off the friend list.
By the way this is my name on facebook: Wilton Al Marble | Facebook
I welcome any of the Forum members as friends.

Hi just sent u a friend request on fb, i play farmville & fishworld.
Sharon

You have to be careful on FB.
Most of the cute things like "hugs", "hearts", "farmville", etc. require you to expose all your private information. This creates the problems you are all describing. When I am asked to open up and reveal private information I decline. So if anyone is wondering why I don't accept these invitations from people this is why.

Me too. I do not do any outside applications on F/B and only share info with small group of family and friends.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back