Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
TH
State
Bangkok
City
Bangkok
So I've been here before and got reassured by the good people here that I probably doesn't have anything that represents an MND. However, the last three days after my rock climbing trip (a very physical activity), my left shoulder and deltoid had gotten noticeably smaller! and I'm not imagining this as I had been obsessively taking pictures to see if I've become thinner and the evidence is fool-hardy. Cloths that used to be thigh are also now loose and so on. The doctor doesn't seem to care after my normal EMG and just laugh at my predicament, saying I worry too much. I'm also 18 btw.my hand and forearm had atrophied a little already and this happened all within a month after weakness (left arm) and fasciculation (diffuse) stared. The extreme weakness had so forth disappear but is replace by one where you feel you don't have that much strength anymore

could MMN or CIDP (anything treatable really) cause symptoms this fast. In fact, could ALS cause atrophy this fast. I heard it took about a year of weakness for noticeable atrophy to be noted. At my age however and because of my Asian (Thai) descent, I'm thinking I have Monomelic amyotrophy which by god beats the alternative but it still sucks. The only thing that doesn't fit is that I have diffuse fasciculation so now I'm fearing PMA. Any suggestions?

oh and could electric stimulii really build muscle mass back? I know from another thread that Hal has used it so could you please comment on it's effectiveness. I used to be muscular, with XL shirts being a little thight and now I'm wearing M size shirts comfortably. All within a freaking month!

Atrophy is slow. You would notice definite weakness before any atrophy.

I know, that's what I've read. So this points away from ALS right?

Yes, it does point away from ALS. Take care!

that's great to hear I guess. But that doesn't explain why my symtoms is occurring and whether it could be cured though

Muscle atrophy can be caused by a variety of things. I would take comfort in what the doctor has told you. If he believes you have nothing to worry about, be encouraged! On the other hand, if you don't like or disbelieve what he is telling you, see another.

Zaphoon

When I was diagnosed I couldn't able to figure the out the difference. My friends only told there is something wrong in your left hand since we do exercise together.

Then I can feel the difference. It took almost 1-2 months to identify the difference.Regularly monitor with measurement tap it could help you to find level of wasting and don't do heavy/over exercise now on it leads to further wasting.

Be calm and relax nothing we could do lucky enough its not MND. I am in my 30s now after 6 years nothing problem. Life is normal
It takes me around 1-2 years come out from shock.

Best of luck

So I had another EMG today and it came back all normal. My left deltoid, the one which I think is most effected comes out all normal. However, the weakness and Atrophy I think is real. Maybe stress and lack of exercise from this episode is causing this. Should there be abnormal activities in the EMG if it's dystrophy or a spinal cord tumor?

Sorry, but this is getting really absurd. Please speak to somebody regarding your state of mind, your fears and why you may be fixated on having some terrible, terminal illness. As someone living with a person affected by mnd, and having to deal with all that this means when it's really taking place (unlike in your case) I feel sorry that you can not move on and just LIVE.

I have been following this forum for over a year now and have seen plenty of concerned people seeking answers. It is usually pretty obvious if their concerns are founded on facts or not. I hope you sort yourself out and come back in a few months telling us all us well with you (like some others have done ).

pawin,

There is no one here that is qualified to answer your questions. We are not doctors, and none of us ever has been or ever will be neurologists. If you have further questions, you should be directing them to the doctors who have been examining you and testing you. They have the knowledge necessary to answer all of your questions. When they give you a diagnosis of ALS, which is very unlikely given the results you've had so far, then come back and we can help you learn to live with it. But, until that time, there really is nothing we can do for you.

You really should look into getting some psychiatric or psychological help. Your obsession with ALS and other neuromuscular diseases is an unhealthy mental state to be living in.

Good luck.

Believe me, the 2nd clean EMG got me totally convince that I don't have ALS. And nor do I think that I'm crazy or need any psychiatric help. The atrophy and weakness though is REAL as I've been keeping records. I'm sorry to be a burden but I'm merely trying to seek an answer as to what I might be having, exploring all the possibilities.

And I'm not going to lie, my stress on this matter is currently ruining my life as you can see. However, I've resolve to take your advice and indeed move on and live and hopefully be back a few months later telling everyone that I''m fine. thanks for your time

Your stress could be a major contributor to the problems you are having. We are not doctors so cannot diagnose you. The best thing to do is let your doctor help and stay off the internet. I hope you can get the help you need.

Pawin:

Your symptoms/physical issues sound very much like what I'm experiencing. I'm curious as to whether any numbness accompanied the fasciculations? I've had a series of EMGs and NCVs and the results have thus far dissuaded my neurologist from making an ALS diagnosis, though I'm currently awaiting the results of a spinal tap.

When you have a moment perhaps you can pm me with a detailed chronological account of your physical issues and we can compare notes.

Thanks!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back