Diagnosis
06/2008
Country
US
State
wa
City
Lynnwood
Unfortunately, my husband can no longer use the Rilutek, Lithium and Glycopyrrolate pills that were prescribed for him. We live in the Seattle area and hate like all get out to just throw these in the garbage. Any ideas? Leave message at (425) 248-7185 and I'll also check back for posts to this thread.

I have some Rilutek that my mom couldn't use either. It made her sick. I can't bear the thought of throwing something out that cost so much money.

When I asked one of the hospice people she told me to take old meds and crush (or pour) them, put them in a baggie full of kittie litter, then fill it with water until it all clumps... I know that doesn't help you, but I thought I would share because I have a ton of old medicines that wouldn't necessarily be beneficial to anyone.

and here i am trying my darndest to GET rilutek. the donut-hole on insurance is insane, and being on disability and single.........i am in the process of filing paperwork with NORD. have only 4 tablets left. throw it away in my trash!

If I knew the location of your trash can, I'd send it to you so you could throw it away...
We found NORD standards so high. At the time we applied, they did not accept anyone who had health insurance. Didn't matter whether or not insurance covered Rilutek or whether the copays put it out of range, just a flat denial if you had insurance. I hope that has changed. My husband's doctor also prescribed Lithium Carbonate with the Rilutek, saying the studies were more favorable when the two were used together.

Glenna..I hear you..we hit our donut hole in two months. Paid 900.00 out of pocket for last months for rilutek. It just does not make any sense. So generous of people to offer there extra medication! Was wondering what other people pay out of pocket for the rilutek? Would be interesting to know.

Re price of Rilutek.
There was a thread some time ago about this.
It varied from memory from $0.00 to about $1000.00 depending on where you were.

Here in Aus. I pay $33.00 per script regardless of what health cover etc we have.
When we reach our cap (dont know when that kicks in) i guess the price will fall to app $5.00. (other people who reach the cap all their scrips fall to this figure, they dont go up)

P.S. list price for Rilutek here is app $660.00.

(Aussie and US dollar not much different now)

cheers
Peter

I paid out of pocket $1200.00 for 30 tablets! Is there any way that we can donate our trash cans of unused prescription meds in their original containers or just alert someone that we have put out the trash can if they would like to go dumpster diving? I also did not apply for NORD for the exact same reason that newbie stated.

our als newsletter said they had coupns for $100 off for up to 12 months i think....i will find out more about that today i hope. we pay $180 after insurance. come jan...we pay full price until we meet our deductible won't take long with that cost! bummer we start our deductible right after christmas, and the premiums go up, and........

People that I know of have left unopened meds at the ALS Clinic to be used by people with no coverage.

AL.

newbie - i spoke with NORD and we discussed the donut hole. They informed me that because of this, they dont take insurance into account. i told them i wouldnt want to be "penalized" for having prescription coverage. she told me to have medicare exclude rilutek from my list of meds. i did this and will let you know what they say. will also contact the local MDA chapter. i have the $100 coupons but that does me no good when the drug is $975!

The only safe way I know of to get rid of perscription medicine is to take it to the pharmacy and they will dispose of it for you. Otherwise it can get into the landfills or water.

I've still got my husband's Rilutek. He cannot take it now. The bottle was opened but there is a lot left and it has been stored in a basket in the bedroom, not in the bathroom or kitchen where moisture and heat could be a problem. Our clinic absolutely will not receive any unused meds...nor do they accept samples from pharmaceutical companies. They're associated with the State, so have some pretty restrictive rules. Seems like a crime to throw it in my trash if there's anyone out there who would like to throw it in their trash... ?

Yes newbie! That is exactly what I was trying to say in my coded message. :]

I would love to throw it in my trash. 817-807-8704. thanks!

I lobbed those unused meds at someone's trash can. I hope it landed in the right place, and that it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back