What is the best long term use cushion to prevent pressure sores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtPockets

Very helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
05/2006
Country
US
State
Ms
City
Gulfport
I currently am using a Roho High Profile Cushion. I was told this is the best, but still I am having trouble with a pressure sore at the end of my spine.
Are the Gel cushions better? If so what brand do you have and or recommend?

Attachments

• ROHOHIGH.jpg
    ROHOHIGH.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 9,339
I've used gel and Roho works best for me AL. Proper inflation is critical though. Not too much air so your butt kind of shifts aaround easily.

AL.

Capt AL, are you getting pressure sores?

I've used the ROHO Nexus, J2 Deep Contour (gel) and the ROHO Quadtro of those the Quadtro which is what I believe you have is by far the best. As Al said try playing with the pressure.

Capt Al ,

I have that cushion , and I too am having back problems. I have swelling / inflamation just above my butt. Its really a pain in the ass. Pun intended.

When I went to have the chair fitted , there was a different cushion , and it was too small. It was still more comfortable. It had different bladders sewn around the cushion.

I will bring this up at the Rehab clinic on Monday.

Glen

Pressure is critical. I can notice a difference with just 1 pump, so change the pressure slowly and in very small increments. You should eventually get it where it is comfortable.

Joel,

I have played with pressure. My problem is that the air moves to different pockets. The longer I sit , the more it gets flattened , pushing the air to the front under my legs. I am constantly adjusting how I sit. I have spoken to my OT, and she has left msgs with OMS (where I got my chair) and ALS Loan Cabinet in Toronto. She did so from my place on Thursday. I have Rehab on Monday , and will bring it up there also.

Glen

My ROHO has a valve that we turns on and off that prevents that problem. Maybe you could ask about one like this?

We open the valve to add air then shut it of before I sit on it. Works great! I can definitely see where you would have problems without this valve.

Yes I have a pressure sore right at the end of the tail bone. I did not know that they start from the inside and work their way out. I have about a one inch area that is cracking and blue. The nurses have been putting medicine on it for about 2 months and it is a little better. Just wanted to try to see if there were a better cushion.
I have the 4 chamber Quadtro Select Roho high rise where you open the valve in front the pressure equalizes.
How to Select the Appropriate ROHO Cushion
Someone had told me a salesman I think that the gel was better?

Great info Joel.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back